Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

OT - Bulge in tyre sidewall.

knowley

I agree. You must change it straight away. I’ve only seen one really bad one and that was many years ago following a caravan. The bulge must have been a good 3" from the rest of the sidewall. I managed to stop the said caravanner who did say that he was feeing a bit of a vibration from the back somewhere and of course he had no spare tyre.

One of my hobbyhorses is that all caravans should be subject to an annual safety check and that if you want to tow one you should be able to pass a basic proficiency test. Oh and that a spare wheel is mandatory bit of kit.

I am a caravanner 😳 and use Tyron bands in all my wheels thus allowing a run flat situation whilst you bring the caravan to a halt.

There, got that off my chest! Sorry to go OT

Grant

😬 183 BHP of black and stone chip excitement. 😬

here

I picked up a hire-car in Jordan with such a lump - the spare wasn't any better (bald and down to the canvas IIRC)...

...there was a bit of vibration as I cracked through the ton IIRC *eek*

...which brings me on to:

There are b*gger-all decent roads in Jordan (or were 6ish years ago). The main 'motorway' that you needed to take from Amman to Petra was a 2-lane dual-carriageway - completely worn out road surface (shiney as hell) - and 'lucky-dip' armco in the central reservation. 50% of it pointed to 'your' side of the road and 50% to the other - alternating direction every 200metres or so (so you had to time your accident carefully...)

Anyway, we'd done Petra in a day (huge drive, totally knackered) and were bombing this Chavalier back in the darkness (no street lighting - or any lighting for that matter in the desert) - so I latched onto the back lights of a car up ahead. Followed it for a while and considered overtaking it - just as well I didn't because there was a dead donkey blocking the lane - and I only spotted it as I went past... 120kph into a dead animal would have made a bit of a mess of us... *eek*

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Thanks for the advice peps, I forgot to check this *tongue*

I clipped the curb when squeezing through the awful datchet traffic, it was a raised brick afair at a roundabout but this was a long time ago. I guess the tyre pressue and speed bumps over time has made a minor knock swell.

I thought I should get it changed when I left work and now have a new tyre. Once deflated and removed there was no damage at all so the guy at Windsor Central Tyres is going to return it to Pirelli for analysis *thumbup*

Rx00 Owners Register

My R300 *wink*

Edited by - knowley on 20 Sep 2005 19:35:13

No damage at all ??

Well there would not be anything visible with no air in.

Wot's happened is that the sidewall cords have seperated, allowing the rubber to bulge because of the pressure. The rubber does not contain the forces produced by pressure. This is done by the cords. with damaged cords the rubber will bulge with pressure and return to normal with no pressure in. Like a bit of rubber really.

Think your tyre bloke is missing a key learning point there somewhere.