Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Legal for class 3?

Steve Robinson

Steve

I think it would depend if it was factory fitted. I beleive the 1800 X-Power K-Series are fitted with 52mm throttle body as standard.

If it was fittted as an upgrade then back to a 48mm to be eligible for class 2/3 depending on what tyres you run

If you need clarification then drop a note to the competition secretary.

Gary

*thumbup* GrannY OrB TuneR *thumbup*

😳 Tweaker Of Fine Granny Orbs ! 😳

*biggrin* Superlight No: 170 *biggrin*

Steve

I think it is important that you understand what DVA did to the engine.

To be eligible for Class 3 it must have the standard plenium (not VVC), 48mm T/B (although this will be discussed at the Tech Forum), MEMS ECU, Supersport Cams, K16 Head with standard valves and no porting.

If you want to discuss further drop me a Blatmail or call me on 07784-801566 *thumbup*

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Steve

I'm with Mark on this one, we let 1800's into 2 & 3 as long as they were standard, ie no mods.

I would suspec that if this is a DVA conversion it will be far from standard and therefore ineligble

Graham

Competition Secretary

*cool* 2005 Speed Championship - 13 Rounds with 7 counting towards the championship *cool*

List of the work done is:

Engine rebuilt November 2004 as 1.8SS with new crank, bearings, rods, Accralite forged pistons; Piper vernier pulleys, 52mm ali throttle body, new cambelt. Replacement standard head, new gaskets, seals etc. using Supersport camshafts.

Alan does still have the 48mm throttle body if I need to revert it back. But keeping the 52 would be great *thumbup* *thumbup*

Steve

just my 2p's worth here, as i think it has been discussed before

most of the mods that have been described are purely for hopefully better engine life (forged pistons) and not neccersarily for performance improvements - and in that case should be allowed...

the only exception being the verniers (and tb which can easily be removed), but I know at least 1 class 3 1800 runer that has run with these this year I believe *confused*

again just my 2p's worth

rob

PS BB is your new name teflon shoulders 😬 🤔

Edited by - robmar on 20 Sep 2005 10:50:23

BB - I understand and am keen to stay within the spirit of the rules as well as complying technically with them.

Mark - Any chance you can give me a verdict on this as I would like to decide on whether to buy it in the next few days. Feel free to post here or email me offline to steve dot robinson@msd.co.uk . If the answer is that it is class 5 that is no problem, just as long as I know now.

Sorry to be pushy on it as I know the technical forum is coming up, its just the most important thing for me is to stay in class 3 for next year. *thumbup*

Cheers

Steve

• Area Representative

I'd say it was quite legal apart from the 52mm TB.

I don't remember what was said about verniers, but I don't think it's easily policed anyway.

My cams are correctly timed, but I didn't do it using verniers. it just took a lot longer to do than it would have using verniers.

Stick a 48mm TB on it and it will be legal (in my opinion!)

Steve

In my opinion I would say that if a 48mm T/B was fitted and it is using the MEMS ECU then it is legal. Forged pistons do not give any power advantage and therefore are permitted. I do not see the fitting of verniers to be an issue as it optimises cam timing to the manufacturers spec. Some cars may be lucky having standard pulleys that already give correct timing of the cams so therefore I believe that they should be allowed. Also offset dowels could be used to obtain the correct timing of the cams and this would be impossible to detect.

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

I have the approval of the good Mrs R to spend the money. My only hesitation is that Matt Stears 1600 superlight is in better condition and doesn't have the starship mileage (but has possibly had proper Caterham re-build after a crash in 02). Downsides are that it is likely to cost at least £1500 more to buy and then would need the DVA headwork to get it up to the level of the 1800. So overall in excess of £2k more simply for lower miles and slightly nicer condition.

Overall that makes me think the 1800 is a better option. All opinions welcome though....bear in mind budget is tight.

Steve

Steve

You could always buy Mark D's car, its proven to be fast in the right hands and all it will need is a set of ACB10's, I know what hes asking for it and its not a lot of money.

I'm surprised he hasn't suggested it himself 😬 😬 😬 😬

Graham

Competition Secretary

*cool* 2005 Speed Championship - 13 Rounds with 7 counting towards the championship *cool*

Steve

You are missing the point, its a proven sprint car for not a lot of money. If I had the cash I would buy it and come and play in Class 3 again.

(Mark, I hope the sales commission is still on 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬)

Graham

Competition Secretary