Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Carbon fibre interior fitting

GTD

I've done a search and surpringly can't find anything on this - how easy is it to fit the RiF type panels in the chassis. I'm trying to find a way to improve the look of the interior, and the thought of putting carpet over the ali seems all wrong?

G for Geoff

Geoff, you'll need an air riveter, you can borrow mine but I'll need it over christmas (in France - I hope).

I had mine undrilled. It's not difficult to drill when you've got the ali panels off just clamp the two together and drill.At least you know the holes are in the right place.

It's not so much difficult as time consuming.

I think Richard has improved some of the panels over the early ones, but mine were fine and apart from the turrets in the boot everything fitted perfectly. The turrest were a problem because they are differnt on the earlier chassis.

Give Richard a call next week (he's in Scotland at the moment) and talk to him.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

RIF, soon to be RI Scotland usually sells them undrilled - mine are anyway.

He recommends making a template from lining paper after removing the existing panels and cleaning out the holes.

Don't forget that your tubes will be full od the back bits of the old rivets so its a good opportunity to spray the inside of the tubes with some form of cavity wax, rustproofing and fixing the swarf etc.

Bilt Hamber do a good kit with an extension tube which is 2ft long and is only 4mm in diameter fitting through the existing rivet holes *cool*

David

1989 1700XF SS with upgraditis

Errm you can get the panels with or without the holes predrilled (although I think that there are some panels you either can't or wouldn't want to get pre drilled, ie the rear cockpit panel)

I fitted a RiF Carbon Fibre rear cockpit panel to my car a few weeks back and it is not a 5minute job, the panel was pre shaped but was about 2"'s too wide and need to have cutouts added to slot around chassis rails etc. the centre whole around the tranmission tunnel needed to be extended as well. Basically I think every car is a little different so the panels are supplied "oversize" to ensure it fits as many cars as possible.

Luckily I was at the 7's Workshop and was able to use an air nibbler to do this other wise I think it would take a long time.

All in it probably took 2 hours to fit the rear panel on it's own, from talking to Chris I think most of the panels will need a trim to fit a car so they do take a while.

Having said that the wing protectors dropped straight on (pre drilled holes) and were fitted in about 15minutes!!

The finished results look fantastic so I'd definetly recommend going the RiF route.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Sounds good - thanks - will consult the 7 Workshop to see if they'd fit them for me* too, I think... Having been lucky enough to drive Norman's 7 round Curborough, I know how fantastic it looks!

* Touch of the Delbert's there

G for Geoff