Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

EU2 Wiring - Alternator

David Lynch

Case of the 'Where that go' as finally replacing alternator (Yes they are pigs to remove with Long 4-1 exhaust and an Apollo 13 fitted)

Firstly Plug connector Large Brown, Large Brown/Purple, Small Brown/Yellow - fine but for dodgy terminations. BUT....

Coming down to same point is a White with Brown Stripe sitting loose, bare wires exposed. Stumped *confused* Not going to put car back together until sure it serves no purpose and gets taped up. Could it be for secondary low oil pressure warning light or Oil temp which I don't have?

Oil Pressure sender (10 bar VDO, rare as hens teeth) is only thing in proximity and has two terminals One occupied (Red) with no sign of anything EVER being connected to the other (Labelled WK).

So off to Harewood on a beautifully sunny day in the *eek*ing tin top. At least now I know the James Herriot method of removing an alternator. 🙆🏻 😬

1.4K SS 😬 Blue with white (and more and more black)bits.

I used to have a 3 terminal alternator but this was swapped for a 2 terminal one some time ago. Large brown & large brown/purple were just joined together. The small Brown/Yellow goes to the red ignition light. white /brown could be for your idiot light.

I recently rationalised my engine loom & removed yards of redundant stuff. I found the large brown & large brown/purple were eventually joined together again (after a long trip round the engine) & connected to the positive side of the battery. Much simpler to shorten it & connect it to the large red starter motor terminal.

The 2 terminals on the VDO 10 bar sender: one goes to the guage & the other one can be used for your idiot light. Probably operates at 3 or 4 psi though.

Edited by - Mick Day on 18 Sep 2005 11:14:08