Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Nitrous Oxide

DomRees

Turning my baseball cap round and tying my pit bull to a pub bench, can I ask the following question:

Has anyone ever tried to install Nitrous into a Caterham? Can this be done?

Just a thought - it comes from being hideously out-accelerated by a J reg Nova last night. When I finally caught up with the young yoof he informed me he had installed a NOS kit. *eek*

Happily married to a 1990 140bhp Supersprint. Dont tell the missus.

There is nothing wrong with correctly modulated NOX together with the appropriate amount of extra fuel, however it drastically increases BMEP which as we know is very bad for K series pistons which have extremely thin lands and a tendency towards poor location in the bore. Forced induction has a similar impact on BMEP and all blown K series engines use tougher pistons because of land collapse and piston failure. Even on stock engines the piston lands are prone to collapse, up the BMEP by 40-50% and it doesn't take a lot of thinkology to work out that it's a risky business.

Oily

The term BMEP is an engineering term that means Brake Mean Effective Pressure (psi). Mean is another word for average, which in this case means average effective pressure of all stroke cycles. This is used to evaluate all engines whether they are Two or Four Cycle.

BMEP is a function of temperature of the gases in the cylinder. To increase the temperature you need to burn more fuel, thus making more heat. Or another way is to make better use of the existing fuel.

Torque is a function of BMEP and displacement only. HP is a function of torque and rpm.

It can be said a high BMEP and a low rpm, or a low BMEP and a high rpm, can equal the same power. Larger valves, ports, pipes, compression, etc. all come into play to increase the volumetric efficiency of the engine. The most effective is to increase the number of cylinders. The more efficient it is, the higher the average pressure or BMEP.

Pressure increases by compression alone can do wonders to a stock engine, it is, by factory choice, usually a low number. Note that after compression gets very high it starts to work against you in pumping losses, and in the amount of heat lost to the surrounding parts.

These two formulas are similar and easy to use.

(Entries are in English -- not SI)

Two cycle:...

BMEP = ( HP * 6500 ) / ( L * RPM )

2-cycles require only one half of 4-cycle BMEP to produce the same power at the same rpm.

Four cycle:...

BMEP = ( HP * 13000 ) / ( L * RPM )

L = Displacement in Liters

i.e. :.. 80cc would be .08 Liters

500cc would be .5 Liters

1 cu.in. = 16.39 cc

and yes, I copied and pasted from here *wink*

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

Incorporating the Caterham Links Database

If its done properly then its very safe,very simple and works very well.

The limiting factors are as Oily has stated the weak link in the engine ie pistons head gasket rods crank etc.

The nice thing with nos is that it also increases torque at a similar rate to bhp. The downside to this is the clutch and drivetrain have to be able to cope with it.

A nos controller is a very good way of dealing with this as it can be made to be very progressive and therefore gentler on the engine and drivetrain etc.

In a 7 its probably not going to make that much difference as far as the traffic lights grand prix is concerned as most 7's are traction limited anyway.

In fact will most likely make it slower off the line.

Its not illegal to use nos on the road but you must have a sign on the back of the car stating it has a non flammable compressed gas inside. Incase of an accident/fire etc

Also I am not sure how your insurance company would view it!

Arnie

James Fletcher has installed it . He never ran it though as he downgraded from carbs to injection.

When you saw it fitted to the engine in my car how certain are you that it was my engine *wink*

James

Su77on Se7ens