Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Alternator belt 93 1400K ss

Brucey

I've just changed my alternator belt. I tried to get the same one I took off 40750 (which I assume is 4 grooves, 750mm long). Halfords said the correct belt is a 073704 (4 grooves,737mm long?)as the alternator used to get close to the side with the old belt, I bought and fitted the slightly shorter one.

This was a bit of a squeeze to get on and when adjusted is VERY close to the terminal on the oil pressure sender unit (on top of the oil filter housing). In fact I think I've damaged terminal when fitting the belt as the oil pressure gauge was doing impressions of a geiger counter, but is ok with a bit of 2 mm rubber wedged between the alternator body and the terminal ☹️

I was a bit concerned as I was running the engine with the car jacked up (I did check the oil level first *wink*) to bleed my new (second hand) ally rad. This combined with a new 82 deg stat seems to have improved the temperature problems, (sits at 85 deg now) although I haven't actually tried it with 4 wheels on the ground yet! 😬 *thumbup*

Is it just me that manages to generate more work every time I do something?

2 questions.

a) Which belt is correct? or is there an 'in between' size.

b) Which oil pressure sender do I need (Rover item from a motor factors or Caterham job)?

I guess I'll have to take off the alternator and drain the oil to change the sender 🙆🏻

Thanks in advance for any advise.

I used a shorter belt on my alternator too for the same reason Bruce.

I had a Gates belt fitted.

Unfortunately I've changed to a Brise alternator and a different sized pulley so can't give you the appropriate Gates belt number.

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Mick,

Sorry but I can't remember which alternator it was, if I can find out I'll let you know.

I specified it with a smaller pulley in order to get it further away from the chassis leg.

I did have to change the alternator hangging bracket on the block from the earlier type that takes two bolts to the later type that takes one through bolt. Fortunately I had a friend withna spare block with the right bracket on it so I just nicked this.

Best bet is to give Tim Brise a ring.

Nifty.

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Thanks Jerry & Nifty.

No problem Mick, you can hi-jack my thread any time. Its nice to know I'm not the only one with problems!

Using my previous therory, a GFB80743 should be 743mm long which sounds about right to me *thumbup*

I twiddled the terminal on the oil pressure sender and it seems to be working o.k now *smile* I'll have to remember to cut the old alternator belt off when I fit the slightly longer Caterham one so I don't hit the terminal again!

Thanks again guys, I'm a bit happier now 😬

Bruce.