Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Shopping list for Head swap

Delberts Wallet

And some cam shaft oil seals

I'm *assuming* Delbert is going for a fully-built head - or at least, I hope so... *smile*

He might want to take advantage of a 52mm TB while he's at it (I have *just* the thing... *wink*) - but my fettled VVC-plenum (also force ale) is possibly a step too far...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Its frightening how somebody can read my mind and has decided to empty my wallet.......

Think I best speak to the area comandant about his plans to sponser me 😬

And the Very nears and Zost are as far as I can go IF I am to compete (well how we all larffed at that word) How I can dominate the bottom of the table in Goup 2 or 3 next season..

So its Sprints or staight to 200bhp simple choice really!!!

The Liver is an evil organ and deserves to be punished

Give us you're best sales pitch then Myles ... Why would I want a 52mm Botty Throbby anyway and is yours at a bargin price 😬

(you know ,, in the we sweated shoulder to shoulder threw 2 campaigns of buggers at Blue light sorta cheap 😬 😬)

The Liver is an evil organ and deserves to be punished

YWHM off list.

I'll bring it along anyway - it's a 5-10min job to swap, so you could try it and see...

I've heard that:

Hmm - well I ran it only briefly just before we put the PSC in. I came to the conclusion it was worth the money - especially as the MEMS is perfectly happy with it.

I've probably written all of this up under the PSC section on my site somewhere, but basically...

As you probably know, the tb consists of a disc on a spindle - bit like a lollipop. i.e. the butterfly...

The std. 48mm tb (ali or placky body) has a plastic butterfly (so quite thick) whereas the 52mm has a metal one (thinner). The 48mm version also has a wedge bolted to one half of one side of the butterfly (think of it as a chunk of chocolate-orange laid onto a choccy digestive... ...shades of Happy Air coming in here...)

Anyway, the wedge is designed to limit the airflow at very-small throttle openings - and to limit it progressively (to avoid jerkiness) - but of course it gets in the way at wide open throttle (WOT) - a choccy digestive with a choccy-orange segment on is not as thin as the digestive on its own.

...and neither is as thin as a large Rich Tea - which is what you are getting with the 52mm tb, IYSWIM...

Sooo, the Rich Tea lets in much more air at WOT (bigger diameter, thinner biscuit, no wedge) and also lets much more air in earlier on (at low throttle openings) - so feels much snappier in response.

Various MG/Rover fan sites will claim excessive hp gains for the tb - it does make a difference to the oomph in qualitative terms (about the same as changing from a std. exhaust to a comp version - I felt - but well worth it in VFM terms). It also seemed to add an extra chunk of induction noise - and I quite liked the extra whoosh as you whacked open the throttle...

Edited by - Myles on 15 Sep 2005 12:17:56

😬 I'll pay you 50p more than Delbert!

Just joking! Myles - need a chat too.....

I'll be seing Delbert over the weekend for what he would call the Godewoad Revvivall - so I'll find out his plans then!

G for Geoff

The head is fully built but currently has "NEW" piper 285H cams installed so I plan to take these out and replace them with my Supersport ones (running on Plenum and MEMS ecu you see)

Cam belt isn't that old so I plan to re-use that along with the Verniers that were also fitted at the same time.

As the Cam seals are as old as the Cams ie new I'll re-use them too?

So list is;

Head Gasket

Inlet Gasket

Zorst Gasket (may re-use though)

Stretch bolts

Water Rail Gasket

Coolant

Oil + Filter

Anyone want to buy some Piper 285H cams for an EU3 Jengin?

-Valve stem seals

-Foam pad, if you have an Appolo

-What about new set of cams to take advantage of the porting.

-You should be able to re-use the stretch bolts. I've reused mine twice - they where showing no signs of distortion.

-Compound to polish up your exhaust while you have it off.

-Cam seals.

-loc tight

Paul M.

I would hope that the valve stem seals are fine as the head would otherwise be good-to-go as purchased.

My apollo installation doesn't use a foam pad in the camcover (it does have the standard metal version on the cam-cover breather though - but this doesn't need renewal in general).

The 285h cams that come with the head would be great - I use an equivalent cam on my PSC engine - but delbert is restricted (at the moment) to running on MEMS and on a plenum (not even a VVC version - although I've got one to sell to him if he needs it... *wink*)

I bought new stretch-bolts for PSC (£60ish a set) but reused them on the subsequent 2/3 strip-downs and rebuilds 😳

His exhaust is brand-new...