Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

X/Flow Alternator

Peter R Shaw

having just fittted about the 4th alternator to my Xflow I decided to investigate the problem a little further rather than just take it back and get another ( they are getting a bit pissed off with me now at M P D ) I took the plastic bit off the end of the alternator to find 2 wires that were either not soldered properly or had got so hot that the solder had melted ...I think it was the former. Has anybody had similar problems and has anyone made a heatsheild or found another way of avoiding the alternator from getting quite so hot being so close to the exhaust manifold ??

Road7runner S7S.1.7 X flo here

I had the same problem, only I got to my 5th before finding the problem.

Turned out to be the company doing the refurbishing were just plain crap.

I ended up giving the alternator to a local auto electrician.

He resoldered everything and its been going fine now for about 2 years!

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

Incorporating the Caterham Links Database

• 1 month later...

Would it be possible to use a sligthly longer belt? thus moving the alternator away from the exhaust, you'd need to check clearance of the frame members close by, might be worth a look. Drive belts are available in zillions of lengths from people like Fenners, if they're still going, be sure to get the correct sectional shape, all V belts are not the same.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

I had the same problem with the Crossflow in my Westfield. After replacing the alternator 3 times I came to the conclusion it was the rubbish Lucas design.

I ended up going to the scrap yard and getting one off a Fiesta. It was “almost” a straight swap, just a little spacing required to gett he pulley lined up. It came complete with a nice little heat shield at the back which kept it cool, and a slightly larger pulley to keep the speed down.

The plan was to fit it and then have it reconditioned at a later date. I never did get around to it! I know several people who subsequently made this modification with good results…

The other thing that kills the Lucas alternator is revs, that’s why they sell a smaller all steel engine pulley to get the RPM of the alternator down. Burtons sell them I think.

back to work - no time to update the web site!!