Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Engine

chrisiden

Caterham have had my Supersport 1.8K for just over a week now trying to solve an oil overheating problem. They are now talking about replacing the engine.

The car is only a few weeks old with less than 800 miles on the clock, so will the new replacement engine number have the same engine number as the old engine.

Anyone had an engine replaced by Caterham, what happened to the engine number?

Who gives an engine its identity, Caterham or Rover?

My concern is that if I get new engine with a new number then the paperwork such as V5, service book and original car invoice are going to have the old engine number.

This could cause problems when I come to sell the car in a few years time.

Chris

Just had exactly the same with a brand new Saxo for the wife with 60 miles on the clock. Citroen wanted to replace engine but I made exactly the same point you are making regards engine numbers etc. They did after a fight swap the cars.....but I was told it was only because of the rarity of the fault coming to light after 60 miles. I'm told that if it had been a mere 500 miles I'd have blown it. Good luck anyway hope everything works out.

Kenny HPC

I thought you could just inform the dvla of the new engine number and the docs would be updated.

What difference does it make anyway if a car has had to have a new engine, if you have all the receipts/paperwork that explains why it was done and who did it, then I dont think it should affect resale, especially at the sort of mileage you guys are talking about, looks like you've just had friday afternoon engines, these things happen.

I had an MGF which had to have a new engine at 13000 miles dues to a cambelt failing and trashing the engine, and my current car, a fiat coupe has just had a new engine at 48000 miles due to a conrod breaking due to a defect at manufacture. The MGF engine didnt affect resale and I dont think the Fiat one will either. Thinking logically the Fiat should be worth more as the engine is now brand new(not that I actually think that will happen).

When you had a new engine fitted to your MGF did it have a new engine number?

If so how did this effect the V5 registration document. Was it just a case of getting it updated with the new number. Did the new V5 show any evidence of the engine number having changed?

Don't Caterhams apply their own engine numbers ? Chassis and engine number on my car are near identical. Chassis number usually has primacy, so I suspect Caterhams would simply stamp the same number on again if you requested perhaps with the last digit being slightly different to indicate an engine change. As said above though as long as it agrees with the registration document then its not really a problem.

I had a new engine installed in a newish large truck a couple of years ago and the engine number was identical to the old one, so it to me it doesn't seem impossible .

Edited by - Graham Perry on 28 Nov 2001 07:43:41

Had a new short engine (Block & Bottom end) in Miss Mavs Fiesta 3 months after purchasing the car (We are the 2nd owners) The engine number changed, all you do is fill in the relevant section on the car details located on the V5 and send it off. It does not show whether the engine has been changed on the V5 document.

With my new 1800 having been built out of bits, you have to grind a section of the crankcase siffening away in the starter location area due to the 1400/1600 smaller flywheel diameter and lining up etc.

Guess where the engine number is? Yep, you guessed it; on that section!!! Now what was the 'old' engines number............?