Click here if you are having website access problems ×

More views on Toyo Proxes R888..??

Griff

Google says: 01789 764033

I've drive past them a few times - and they have prominent Toyo branding, so I assume they're authorised dealers. Someone else put me on to them (there'll be a posting elsewhere in BC somewhere) - so I haven't checked the prices directly myself.

Link to original thread here

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Edited by - Myles on 13 Sep 2005 15:32:11

Another price from Glen of Top Stop in Andover (01264-772777). His normal price is pretty good at £64 front and £74 rear fitted, balanced, incl VAT. That's £251 after Toyo rebate.

However, he will do a special short term price of just £60 front and £73 rear which gives a grand total of just £241 after rebate.

Have neglected my work today but saved a lot on tyres 😳

It's not pink, it's medium red violet... 😬

The rebate is on offer from the Sales Director of Toyo UK so I guess he's serious. I'll try and get it firmed up as there seems to be a fair bit of interest. It's down to individuals to get the best price from their dealer (must be a UK dealer) and then fill in the form which Toyo will prepare and put on their web site, submited to them with proof of purchase (invoice). Obviously they want us to switch loyalties to Toyo from Yokohama etc and this is a sweetener so I've no idea how long they'll keep the offer open for, but should be for a respectable time IMO. I'll try and get them to clarify a minimum period.

Cheers,

Mike

Minimum period sounds good. *thumbup* 😬 *thumbup* I've just put a new set of 48's on and, with little planned track activity at the moment and, given we're going into winter, I'd imagine these will last me well into the spring. I'm sure there's others in a similar position.

What Toyo are trying to do, as you rightly say, is to break Yokohama's dominance of the Caterham tyre market. In which case, there's little need to revoke the offer, I would have thought, until the majority of owners who wish to take advantage of the offer have done so. Perhaps they wouldn't need to limit the time period, instead limiting the claims to one claim per person? Otherwise they could keep it open for a year? During that time most people on sticky rubber should have changed their tyres at least once so that would enable anyone who so wished to take advantage of the offer. *thumbup*

Edited by - ChocolateTelevision on 13 Sep 2005 22:40:39

Thanks Griff. *thumbup*

I spoke to Toyo at the Autosport Show on the trade day - could have been the same guy - that was before they became available in 'our' sizes. They appeared to be serious then - and I'm more than happy to give them a chance now.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I started off with 4 x 185/60/13 R888 earlier this year... had a power upgrade and changed the rears to 205/60/13 R888 .... have done about 3K miles on them, including Oulton Park, MSE Academy day, Keevil and Llandow ...... The fronts and the os/r are still road legal with the ns/r borderline.

I have not used Yoko 48 or 32s .... but the R888's have worked very well for me on road and track .... I noticed quite a bit of wear after Llandow, however it was quite a warm day and I was pushing it.

I used Eclipse Tyre Services but also considered Camskill - http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m12b99s0p0

I've been using Kumho Ecsta V700s here in California. These are much stickier than ACBs and cost a lot less. They are available in two compounds, the softer KA6 and the harder KA8.

The Kumho Ecsta V 710 is even better by all accounts. Don't know if you can get them in the UK, but these are the stickiest and cheapest 13s around.

Can't find the Kuhmo V710 listed on their European website, but they do list the Ecsta V70A as a List 1B tyre available in 3 compounds. Fronts are 175/60HR13 (5.5-7" rims) with a rear choice of 215/50VR13 (7-8" rims) or 235/45VR13 (7.5-9" rims). Not sure how the reduced front width would cope - if sticy enough I guess it would be OK. Also the rolling circumferences are pretty close to A032s (same on the fronts, 3% less on the rears).

What about an HR rating though? I get just under 130mph before hitting the limiter (circuit permitting) and HR is rated at 130mph.

More info here:

http://www.kumho-euro.com/Motorsports/KH_brochure01.html

Any news on rebate form Griff

Had a little shop around in SE, RSR is my local , spoke to 2 people, one gave me a quote of £300 fitted, the other £338.40 *eek*

Must depend what kind of day they're having

Tried Lethal Auto Design 🤔 (from Toyo dealer listing) in Crawley who quoted £265 fitted and would possibly go lower if anyone else is interested. Must sort this out soon, Brands trackday looming.

Look forward to an update

Martin

PS Forgot to state, 2 x 205 & 2 x 185 for above prices *thumbup*

Edited by - Martin B on 16 Sep 2005 14:17:56

• Area Representative

cbglos,

The Stunner Scudo's are a great Sprint and road tyre, but do not stand up to trackday use very well unless its very wet!

I was quite horrified by the wear rate when I first used my Scudo's at the track day the day before the club sprint at Llandow in April, and the performance dropped off after any more than about 5 laps.

Back in April when Gareth Harold and I both compete in the sprint at Llandow, our times were very close, and previous performances would suggest that the two car/driver combinations are quite close when we were both using Bridgstone RE720's. So that would suggest that the Scudo, as a road tyre, is not a bad match for the Toyo R888, but not as a trackday tyre.