Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Durable Dot Durabilty improvements

susser

MY poppers keep failing;

I've got the tool and when I fitted my Tonneu I clenched them until they were just beyond the point where the two parts wouldn't rotate. Any more than that and they pulled through very easily as the female bit is so thin. I've aquired the skill (read luck) to stop them from collapsing sideways. I had a failure rate of 50% to start with but it's better now, but I don't know why.

Is there a key point that I'm missing here ?.

As I call for another DD resupply,,

Hi Paul - never did manage to meet you on Saturday, maybe next time!

Poppers - there is a much better tool for fitting them, it rolls the male bit down a lot better and they normally stay in for ever. Problem is they are over £100 so not many people have them. I managed to use one that my local marine upholsterer has, suggest you see if you can find a marine trimmer nearby and see if you can pop a couple of quid in their christmas tip box *thumbup* Best if you take the Tonneau to them rather than expect to take the tool away.

Roadsport build photo's here

Le Mans 2004 photo's here

A thin backing washer helps prevent them pulling through I've found (Yoda Mode)

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Grubster

We probably did meet, it's just that we didn't know it.

I got there about 11 and parked me old Volvo and Oldbutnotslow's trailer next to Tessa's car. Went and introduced meself to her as she is one of the more famouser ones and I recognised her from the pictures.

Me and Sprog wandered about and generally cluttered up the place for the rest of the morning.

I feel frustrated that I was in the prescence of the dignitories I see on BC but didn't know who they were.

Anyway, what a lovely lot you all were. I liked the easy going cameraderie that even I as a stranger felt.

I've just fitted a tonneau and had 100% success with the durable dot fasteners using the standard Caterham Cars tool in a vice. The only difficulty is protecting the black head of the male part to stop it getting marked, I used a small piece of padded vynyl upolstery material for this and it worked very well.

The vice gives much more control when using the standard Caterham Cars tool, use just enough pressure to roll the male rivet onto the female part of the fastener so that the female part is held tight and cannot be rotated.

Doc.