Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wide track sizes

Tony J

Some people remove this spacer to give more travel before hitting the bump stop. This practice is not all that common, but the spacer might not be present even on WT.

Another clue would be flared wings. With flared wings, the tyres would protrude from under the wing with WT, so it isn't an option on flared wing cars.

All steering racks are now black, but in the past different racks were different colours. There isn't a WT version of the 22% rack, so that will have extensions, but the 8% rack comes in normal and WT guises. If it does have extensions it'll be due to WT whatever (a 22% rack or an upgrade from normal to WT without changing the rack).

I think the WT 8% rack was green, but I'm not sure. This has cropped up before and someone should know for sure (someone with an 8% rack and WT on a car a couple of years old could take a peek at theirs).

Hope this helps,

Jon

Widetrack clues.

1 Only fitted with cycle wings

2 Fatter ARB at front

3 Rear ARB fitted as part of Supersport suspension

4 Toe in - with front wheels in straight-ahead position, line up a straight edge across the diameter of the front wheels towards the rear wheels. For std track it should intersect the rear tyre approx 50mm in from the outside edge. With wide track it should allign with the outside edge of the tyre.

Highspeed muckspreadingwink.gif

Miraz, thanks for the confirmation. I've been reading this thread and thought maybe my yellow rack had something to do with it being LHD. BTW I had the kit speced with the wide track and clam shell fenders and they don't stick out too much, although I do find a lot of small stones one the seat after a drive. Tom

Thanks for the the helpful tips, but I'm still not sure confused.gif

Does anybody know the widetrack length of a front lower wish bone from the aft tube swivel joint (where it bolts to the chassis) to the ali stub axle.

Cheers

Tony

Approx 360mm from the centreline of the bolt holding the rear of the lower wishbone to the chassis to the centreline of the threaded bit of the upright thro the rose joint in the outer end of the wishbone. Thats for a rose jointed wishbone but constructed to be the same width as the normal widetrack wishbone.

Mine's WT ('99) - green steering rack, extensions on dampers and adjustable rear ARB.

Out of interest, does anyone know if WT affects turning circle? Mine seems to have the turning circle of an oil tanker whereas a friend of mine with a '92 Vx (don't even start F.A.) seems to have a much tighter turning circle.

James.

James,

Installing an Apollo tank in the nose may help your problem!

Seriously, if the VX has flared wings it will turn tighter.

Why are you using the sterring wheel for such tight turns for anyway. Thats what the loud pedals for.....

Nice of you to think of me anyway teeth.gif

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Edited by - Fat Arnie on 29 Nov 2001 00:25:18

1 Only fitted with cycle wings

2 Fatter ARB at front

3 Rear ARB fitted as part of Supersport suspension

4 Toe in - with front wheels in straight-ahead position, line up a straight edge across the diameter of the front wheels towards the rear wheels. For std track it should intersect the rear tyre approx 50mm in from the outside edge. With wide track it should allign with the outside edge of the tyre.

I'm not sure that any of these are specific to WT though. My car's rears stick out more than the fronts as they're wider.

I truth, if you spend enough time looking at Sevens, you can probably tell just by looking at the front track. A standard car looks very narrow when you're used to looking at WT.

Alex

Edited by - Alex Wong on 29 Nov 2001 00:46:11

Thank all for yor comments. (including the wareabouts of Mr Clark)

I can now clarify that front track sizes from the centre of the chassis bolt to the centre of the stub axle bolt on the lower arm rear tube are arrow.gif

Standard track = 330mm approx

Wide track = 360m approx

Cheers

Tony J

Miraz,

Interesting, when did you build your car and what rack is that? I thought 22% racks were silver (though I'm not 100% on that), and weren't made in WT, but yours is silver yet doesn't have extensions.

My comments come from what Caterham told me when I built my car in March. I spec'ed a 22% rack and was expecting a (probably) silver rack, with extensions for WT. The one I received was black with extensions, so I queried it with them. From the part number they confirmed it was 22%, and said all racks are now black. Apparently it was too much of a PITA for the supplier to do all the different colours.

BTW, thumbsup.gif for your choice of colour (of the car that is) wink.gif

Jon