Hello,

I'm waiting to receive from the Italian dealer the price

of Superlight 1.6 + some extras like :

Heated Windscreen

Weather Gear (Sidescreens, hood)

Leather Seats

Heater

Orange Chrome

Coming from Elise world (as you know I have Elise 1.8 DVA 190 hp)

I'm sure that after 1 year / max 1 year and half, the need of more

power will come back.

What about K-Rover 1.6 + Eaton supercharger ?

About the extras have you some suggests ?

Bye and thank you.

Luca.

Elise 190 DVA driver.

In the next future ... 7SLR.

Luca

Is your SL designed to compliment or replace your Elise ?

I ask because the extras you are looking at go against the nature of the SL to a certain extent.

If you are in Italy with a better climate than here in the UK, could the car not be more focussed on finer weather and lose some of the creature comforts?

Your choice of course...

My future Superlight 1.6 will replace my current Elise.

Usually my roof is always off, also in winter, and probably

Milan is not very different from London about fog, rain and cold,

but if I'll buy a car without doors, roof and windscreen, surely

my girlfriend will fly away !

During track day and fast road sessions I'll take out the windscreen

and the doors.

About 1.8 engine it seems in Italy is only possible to buy Superlight

with 1.6 or 1.8 VHPD (the price for 1.8 vhpd is 33870 gbp)

Ciao !

luca.

Elise 190 DVA driver.

So, Arnie, what is the problem with the weather ?

The problem of Linate Airport is the fog.

I don't know what problems has Rome.

Generally temperatures in Rome is more hot than Milano

and from Feb to November it is very good.

Milano is cold and foggy in winter, too much hot in summer.

more info at www.meteolive.it

Ciao.

Luca.

Elise 190 DVA driver.

I have a 1.6 SL and I got Screen and weather gear and Leather seats. As for the heater I dont have one of those. Us northerners are hard u know...

Any way I suggest you get the screen really as I cant see myself driving 100 plus miles to a track day without one.

As for the SC. I looked into this and the cost is huge for the power you get. From the 1.6 the company I approched said I would get about 50bhp gain. So that would take it from 133bhp to 183 ish. The total cost would be around 4000ukp.

To take the 133bhp unit to 183bhp is realitivly simple, TBs, port head, ECU, Valves, Cams and followers. If you did all the work yourself it would cost a lot less than 4k and even if you get someone else to do it I am sure you could get it for less than 4k.

X777CAT

I'm not entirely sure that the supercharger and all its various ancilliaries will fit the Caterham engine bay.. It may be that the SC conversion gives 'only' 180BHP but the torque curves tells a very different story.

simon,

Luca knows the route to upping the horsepower on the K, that's the route he has already taken with his Elise and the details are essentially identical. Part of the difficulty was having all the bits fitted locally which proved prohibitively expensive. The actual bits for a 190-200BHP conversion like Luca's come out at around £2700 including TBS, ECU, airbox kit, valves, cams, solid followers, verniers, purchase of a *brand new* head, and all the porting work and sundry gaskets seals etc.

Personally I think Luca would do better to acquire a basic 1.8 superlight and do a similar upgrade.

Oilynads

Edited by - oilyhands on 28 Nov 2001 10:00:23

oilyhands,

thank you for your replay. About Superlight 1.8 (not VHPD)

it seems not possible to buy it in Italy and the VHPD

it is too much expansive for me. :-(

Ciao !

luca.

Elise 190 DVA driver.

ciao luca,

given the inflated prices of the 7s in italy, could you not buy it in england and drive it back to milan ?

or if you are building it, have it shipped back ?

you would have to pay import taxes, but i don't think that they would be so much...

giacomo

Giacomo,

infact my first way was to buy a new car in Uk,

but Caterham send me to the Italian dealer.

My second way was to buy a preowned car

from Caterham factory, and I'm waiting

for the right car. (Sent an email to Caterham

for a preowned 1.8 SLR but they told me to call

the Italian dealer).

But I suppose if I'll come to Caterham Uk with

the money in my hand I'll come back driving a

preowned Superlight.

Surely I'll organize a trip to Uk to visit

the factory and have a test drive.

But I'd like to have my first Caterham

as a new car.

We'll see.

Elise 190 DVA driver.

Ciao Luca!

I would have liked my first Caterham to have been new, but I ended up buying a beautiful Mercedes Metalic silver 1996 1.6 K supersport, 140 BHP, 3 years old and only 4000 miles on the clock! It was at a really good price too.

Go for the pre-owned car, you'll get the engine you want for less cash, and sevens are all great!

Mike

Yes I agree about second hand, (well, I would say this because that is what I did a year ago).

A good proportion of second hand sevens are in

wonderful condition, (not all but a little care will enable you to find a really good one).

I would go so far as to say that a few are in "better" condition than a brand new factory built car. That is because some owners are excellent engineers and take a lot of pride in their cars and it shows.

Another advantage is you don't have to "run in" a second hand car.

At the very least I would have a look round the Caterham showroom if you can possibly get the chance. I think some represent excellent value compared with a new car.

One piece of advice I was given by Derek Moore (of Classic Carriage as was, now Caterham Midlands) was NOT to change the colour on a seven. In order to get a really good result it is a lot of work and hence expensive. So better to get the colour you want (if you are buying second-hand) and spend the money on upgrading the mechanical specification to what you want.

I am no expert so cannot say if that is good advice or not but it makes sense to me.

good luck with whatever seven you buy!!

James

If it ain't broke, maybe it's time I had a look at it...

Hello James,

I think that second hand car could be a great

way to buy a Caterham a great way to save money, but for the moment no Superlight 1.6 at Caterham showrooms ...

Ciao and thank you.

Luca

Elise 190 DVA driver.

>"I have a 1.6 SL and I got Screen and weather gear and Leather seats. As for the >heater I dont have one of those. Us northerners are hard u know...

>

>Any way I suggest you get the screen really as I cant see myself driving 100 plus >miles to a track day without one"

Simon,

Your a big wuss if you need a Windscreen on your 1.6l HL (HeavyLight!!!). Whats the point in buying a superlight and weighing it down with additional junk!!! 100mph without a windscreen is no problem, 125ish is a bit blowy put perfectly ok to see through. I've had a superlight since they first came out (car 8), original factory spec, and also have a Classic with a windscreen. Believe me, windscreens are crap!!!!