Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dirty Windscreens

Slow Hida

I am at my wits end with the visibility on my tintop’s windscreen.

I have fitted new wiper blades and bought a number of proprietary products in an attempt to maintain a clean screen.

On completion of cleaning the screen with soap and water the screen looks very clean, but areas can be seen where the water has not “wetted” the screen. After the first use of the wipers, the screen smears really badly and there are judder marks from the wipers.

I leave for work early and head east, straight into a low sun. Things are so desperate I am considering breaking the screen.

All ideas will be tried out ands reported.

A7 JXM

• Support Team

Sounds like you've got wax on the windscreen. I guess you'll need a good solvent to take it off or use one of the proprietary glass polish products e.g. Autoglym. Seems that household glass cleaners also contain waxes and silicon which causes smearing.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Ok think about it, household products are made to clean windows so as you can see through them and they do not have wipers moving across them. Household cleanrs are stronger than car products and as a result clean the car window to much causing friction with the blade making it drag, judder and squeel.

PLEASE do not use washing up liquid as this contains ammonia and salt, these rot rubber and take the polish off the car, it also removes the protecting waxes behind the panels through draining points that you do not see until they rust inside out.

Autoglym as suggested do two good glass cleaners. First is the fast glass which is a liquid in spray form, this is best applied with tissue and works well with all glass and soft top windows as it is non abrasive. The second is a cream, this is best used with a glass cleaning applicator or cloth, this product cleans and lubricates the glass, it is also one of very few glass cleaners you can use to clean the blades with.

Standard cheap wiper blades are made from rubber and little effort has gone into design with cheap materials being used. Refills are the worst as you cannot always get the tension correct on the blade and it will be sloppy or to tight not giving a good wipe.

Some wipers like Valeo for example are silicone rubber and they come with the correct mounting clips, fit correctly and as a result last longer. Other good makes inclued, Hella, Bosch and Champion.

Other products you can try are Rain X and Piaa blades.

Rain X is a simple to apply coating applied to the outside of the screen which repels water and at about 60mph you do not have to use your wipers it is that good.Rain X even do there own screen wash to complement the above.

Piaa wiper blades are made from silicone, after cleaning the screen with cleaner provided, fit the blade then dry runn it for 15 mins, this coates the screen and beds in the wiper leaving silicone on the screen. Piaa blades are brilliant and not to dear.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

at about 60mph you do not have to use your wipers it is that good.

A big *thumbup* for RainX - I find 45ish mph is the point at which it starts to work on my tintop...

...but I couldn't get it to work at all on the 7 (when I had a screen) - presumably due to the duff airflow.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Rain X is the leading product for a reason.

I think the main thing people do is over clean the glass.

Old methods such as vinegar, news paper etc do exactly that, over clean.

Millions of pounds are spent on wiper blade design, improvement and specific fittment.

A wiper for a new BMW may cost about £80, the car may cost £40,000. The driver will still try and save £5 by using vinegar rather than buying a glass cleaner. How do you sell something and educate the customer in a small amount of time and witout boring them to death?

I find the "Iv'e been doing it that way for years people" are the ones afraid to accept change and technology, just an opinion.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

Edited by - phil on 9 Sep 2005 11:05:15

Edited by - phil on 10 Sep 2005 20:09:41

Another vote for good old Rain-X

Dave.

Personally I wouldn't use it on inside of windscreen though. In the winter (for which read - cold and damp) I find it gives different properties to the screen which makes the heated screen not work as well as normal. This last bit may just be subjective b****x of course .

Edited to rectify/modify spelling. It appears that someone has been moving the keys around on my keyboard *confused*

Edited by - DaveMorris on 10 Sep 2005 00:30:46