Click here if you are having website access problems ×

There's always one!

Big Brother

Help needed.

I have recently turned my pride and joy into a pile of parts!

Every thing went to plan untill I tried to remove the last bolt!

This is the bolt that holds the front shock absorber and top link to the chassis.

I have removed the nyloc nut but the bolt appears to be seized into the bush (rubber/metal sleeve)that sits in the top link.

My problem is that I cannot get any access for "brute" force and or heat. I cannot see a way of cutting the bolt without de-skining the side of the car (painted - not a good idea)

Any Ideas please

Steve

www.Se7en-Up.co.uk id=limegreen>

Won't it come out when you rotate it with a spanner?

One possible solution - Apply heat carefully with a small blowtorch. One of those cartridge ones from B&Q should do the job. This should help free it. It might melt the rubber bush but that can be replaced. Be careful with brute force as you can bend the mounting quite easily.

This is testimony to the valued practise of greasing your shaft before inserting. Commagirl tells me she prefers coppaslip for this......

Put a plain nut back on a couple of turns and put the side of the car in the air on axle stands.

Screw another suspension bolt into the remainder of the plain nut and that will give you an longitudinally loaded thingy to hit with a nice heavy hammer from underneath, while lying beside the car.

Make sure the car is well supported - idela if you can get it on some ramps!

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Oh no; commiserations. I had this with an old 'Dutton' I purchased many years ago and the only way to get it apart was a lot of sawing with just a hacksaw blade with PVC tape to stop too much blood flowing from the hand! Lots of small cuts!!!

I had to saw either side of the shocker/mount to effectively cut the bolt off either end (but within the shock) so that the whole lot could be removed.It involved very careful,short movements and an incredible amount of time.

Hope there is an easier way, 'cos I wouldn't recommend this to anyone other than as a last attempt. It was mine as I had tried all the above and luckily it worked, but phew....................thumbsdown.gif

As a 'ps', once the offending article was removed I tried to get the bolt remains and the spacer free using a bench vice, heat, big hammer & drift etc. I attempted this it for no reason other than to see how much force it'd require to shift what had been such a pain. It NEVER shifted!

Access is the real problem. I think a Dremmel would get in to remove the threaded part of the bolt and a grinder may be able to remove the head of the bolt

This would leave the stuck part.....stuck within the chassis mounting plates.

I thought about Arnies suggestion using the bolt from the other side but dont think there will be enough room as there is a diagonal tube in the way. If I remove the head of the bolt with a grinder I will be unable to remove the shock absorber to get at the thread without damaging the ali skin.sad.gif

Looks like it will be heat then a junior hacksaw.

thumbsdown.gifGuess what I will be doing Wednesday nightthumbsdown.gif

Steve

My friend and I rebuilt his SII Landrover - Stuck bushes are a common problem amonst Landie folk - and a topic of conversation in rebuild circles.

Luckily we lived infront of a garage and they had an oxycetaline torche. In our youthfully exuberance we used this to heat / burn anything that was not moving as it should - worked a treat on studs, and bushes. Since then I've discovered these oxycetaline torches can be quite dangerous.

Hence from past experience go with the heat - but watch the paint. I'd try the wd40 a few times before mind as this is simple if a little slow.

Greg, Q 880 RAE (Green/Ali XF)

smile.gif RESULT! smile.gif

Managed to saw off both sides of the offending bolt on the outside of the chassis brackets and "flex" them open enough for the arm to pull out.

I will need a new bolt but at least its out.smile.gif

Next question..

I want to replace all of the old bushes used for the front suspension. Am I right in thinking that the "636" bushes have an rubber part encased by an inner and outer steel tube? If this is the case is fitting them an engineering shop job ie press old ones out and press new ones in?

Steve