Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Suggestions for 2.0 16V UPGRADE ?

Robert Q

Arnie

Unfortunatly I can't afford swindons bill's as yet,the cam cover was a great way to lose 3 kg in weight and to wind up the opposition as to what had been done to the engine.I'm still saving up for Swindons roller throttle bodies however the 4000 gbp price is still a sticking point with the boss.

Cams are QED 460 race profiles

Paul QED's ace engine builder has just built himself a new grastrack engine using some experimental tricks and using QED 450 cams has got 252 bhp/198 lb ft torque on petrol.

I was very suspect about these figures but apparently so was Paul so they remapped on methonol and got over 215 lb ft torque.

Mapping is the key to an engine running properly irrespective of what cams you run as both mine and graham ford engines which both produce over 260 genuine bhp and idle properly.

Don't be drawn into excessive power claims as i'm sure alex will agree a mere 241 bhp is plenty fast enough on the road.

Cam profile have come on a lot since the swindon 235/qed 450 profiles were developed so it might be worth having a word with piper/kent cams about more modern profiles as they will have ground them for the engine tuners.

I'm having a new cylinder head built at present and the cams in this have huge lift/short duration.

Anyway happy tuning as i'm sure you are now aware that there is no straight forward answer to this minefield

cheers

Dave

Don't be drawn into excessive power claims as i'm sure alex will agree a mere 241 bhp is plenty fast enough on the road.

A MERE 241BHP???? If you carry on like that Dave, I'll end up spending what little dosh I have left at QED instead of DT! At least you got that last single BHP in there. It means alot to me, that wee single BHP.

It might be enough for the road, but it's not enough when propping up the bar!

smile.gif

Alex

Edited by - Alex Wong on 27 Nov 2001 23:55:37

Arnie,

Thanks point noted about the throttle bodies, just looked at the Jenvey site to see what the SF ones look like, I expect the single injector version is best.

Any thoughts on the best bore size to go for... Thanks smile.gif

Cheers

Robert

Swindons Roller throttles cost me £ 2.8K which included the MBE967 ECU, wiring harness and half a days dyno time....and the sound is just so so addictive too - but as Alex has intimated power deliver is two stage, at 6,000 it gets a second wind....

Only issue I have is the mapping - Swindon mapped it as a full race motor - fabulous on a fully open throttle but slow speed running was awful and after a follow up half a day on the rollers ( they provided their time at no cost), still needs some work - but that'll have to wait till I have a new set of primaries and collector.

Swindon Rule...

L7 FUN

NotSoLightVx - but with 262.5Bhp!

Edited by - Tazio on 28 Nov 2001 22:47:31

Robert, 48mm is the size to go for.

Graham - I'm not sure on the price, but note the R500's are now resorting to a heavier engine setup so it may not be worth it.....

Taz.... Nett cost of the Swindon TB's around £1750 then?? are your figures plus VAT??

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Arnie,

I rang Swindon today about the cam covers, they don't have any finished covers in stock, just rough casts that need finishing. They are not just a bolt on item either as they need a blanking plate on the end, don't know why something about power steering for rally cars? Foregot to ask the price!!

Stuart