Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fixing the number plate

Pierre Gillet

Thanks guys. My seven is painted and I am a bit concerned about the grip of sticky pads. It seems that the plate of R500 DUO as seen on CCC is fixed by pop rivets or screws probably with holes drilled into the lower tube of the chassis. I am planning to use a shorter (41cm) plate which would fit in between the two remaining tube parts of the holder, so that the plate can be low. The plate number light would be below the plate, fixed on a bracket that would also be riveted into the lower tube of the chassis.

I would hide the threaded hole with a caterham badge as fitted on steering wheels.

Does it make sense?

Cheers,

Pierre

Pierre

It is difficult to understand why you would want to drill holes unecessarily. Keep corrosion, unsightliness and weakness at bay - don't do it!

Use velcro or thin rubber strips secured with Evostik (or similar) I assure you it will not let go. Appropos motorcycles, I have always fixed number plates in this manner and not lost one yet.

Steve B

Frog plates here we come. Opens up a whole array of otherwise closed roads.....

Dont use mirror stickies, go to any car shop and buy the sticky pads designed for attaching number plates. You may find foam ones around 6mm thick - forget these. The best ones are white and are about 2mm thick.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Pierre

It is a common mistake in France that registration plate must be riveted to the car. The only law states that the plate must be fitted "solidly to the chassis" (de façon solidaire au châssis). This was to differentiate between removable plates (such as used by garages) and the normal plates.

The idea that number plates must be pop rivited is incorrect because at the time the law was written pop rivets did not exist! Secondly, just about every number plate in France is illegal since the law states that the letters on the front plate should be 7.5cm high, while at the rear they should be 8.5cm high. I have very rarely seen this.

If you have trouble with the sticky pad let me know since I have some.

The car in front is a Westfie1d wink.gif

Thanks guys.

OK fast westie, i surrender. No more pop rivets. I used velcro. However i notice that despite my degreasing the body paint, the white velcro tape that I used does not stick well in some places.I probably have to wait for some time before trying to remove the plate.

Fast Westie, I used a shorter plate that fits in between the two remaining parts of the holder tubes.Also , I used a shade of yellow that is less orange than the "legal" one ( this is because my car is pearlescent ruby, and I find the plain yellow to match a little bit better this colour !).

In fact , i wanted to use a silver plate that would match the silver band on the bonnet, but did not dare doing so.

Cheers,

Pierre