Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Sequential Gearbox

Tony Abbatiello

For Sale

Never been used 5 speed Elite sequential gearbox with gear linkage.

The box is the Billit aluminium cased type (not the more recent cast ones that you may of heard various things about).

I have never used the gearbox but the gearchange quality is far better than the new cast case type (I am sure Dave Edmunds would back this up).

The box wieghs about 22kg with oil I beleive.

The box is completely unmarked as you would expect.

I do have some digital pics if required and the ratio information can be provided if required.

A change in plans means that it is now up for sale at £2500 ovno

buyer collects/pays delivery

Swiss

I do beleive that the wonka option is a recent developement that has been removed from the options list.

In all seriousness this gearbox is the same as the one fitted to Dave Edmunds car (all be it with different ratio's). To my knowledge Dave has never had a gear failure with his box and as I mentioned earlier all of mods developed in his box have been incorporated into mine (and a few more). So I have no doubts about its reliability or strength.

But thanks for the constructive criticism anyway *smile*

I can vouch for what Tony says here.

My box is the original billet cased one with the sequential change at the back (as opposed to the top). My gears are also 4 dog (Converted from the original 8) although I think Tony's are the later 5 dog gears (which wear less). Both my failures were re input shafts. You wont break gears on these boxes (new or old version as they're the same and made of S16 steel) eventhough they are relatively small (Probably not as small as F1 gears though *smile*) Darrell South had a drop gear failure on his recently due to over hardening of the gears. I've just changed my drop gears since fitting the Hart so i'm hoping they'll be ok. There were also some issues re poor assembly at Elite a while back so I always get mine disassembled and rebuilt by Aaron Tucker at HTR who does a thorough job and ensures that everything is as it should be. The only advantage of the new box in my opinion is that it's slightly lighter, has the option of an extra gear and is easier to fit in a Caterham. Gear selection issues do appear to be an ongoing problem though with the new box and are mainly as a result of insufficient detent which will ultimately require a re-design in my opinion. That said Dave Townley's later design one's been fine since he moved to 5 dog gears recently and that's with 2.3lt torque in a heavy SV that runs 1.6 second sixty foot times at Santa Pod.

Home of HTR700

Edited by - edmandsd on 7 Sep 2005 23:39:13

Dave, thanks for the comments and best of luck at Brighton with the 420r. My box was also built by Aaron Tucker at HT with the uprated drop gears and input shaft.

I must say that the problems Darrell had with his new box were fuxed very promptly by Elite and foc.

They have great product which is a joy to use.

Darren

Might not be next year as I haven't got the time to modify the chassis etc as I am building an Ultima.

I need the money to put an LSD in the car, fit wide track and I might get the engine rebuilt for next year then move to Busa the year after depnds.

What ever I do I will almost certainly stay in class 5, those slick tyres look too fast for an old man like me.

How Is your car comming along

Bloody hell Tony - You're running 59 secs flat at Curborough without a LSD and with Kumho's plus an engine which would struggle to show 200 bhp on HT's (very conservative) dyno in my opinion If you get the sort of grunt I had from my BDX, fit a LSD and some Avons that car will fly with you behind the wheel. Please try this first before you go the bike engine route.

Home of HTR700

Shame Tony, I was looking forward to you joining us 4 or 5 other Busa's in class 6 next year 😬

But like Ed says with those extra trinkets on your car for next season, I will struggle to go faster than you anyway *thumbup*

My new car hopefully mid to end of octoberish God willing

Best of luck with the upgrade path, JAP will be gutted as he was looking forward to some 2nd & 3rd place finish's next year 😬 😬

Arnie it was definately a double lapper as I distinckly remember turning right at the end of the straight.

Dave I don't think it would hit 200 bhp on HT's dyno. It did 98mph over the line which is about the same as an R400 and I doubt they would hit 200bhp on HT's dyno especially as Darrells BD does 104mph and only reads 220bhp on the HT dyno.

Looks like class 6 will be busy with 5 busa cars.

John, I didn't think there was much else you could do to your car apart from more power, I look forward to seeing and competing against you next year. It will be interesting to see who else is in the class.

John's already got more power....or at least he has the Minister stickers 😬

I bet he's SERIOUSLY considering your Elite as the box is about the only bit of standard R400 left *tongue*

I might have to try the sticky tyres and Freestyle suspension next year to close the one second gap. 😳 - Still too far away from DJ though

"I distinckly remember turning right at the end of the straight." Thats more than Dave Edmands managed IIRC *eek* blackbitrdman had a rapid change of underwear as BDR700 headed straight at him - sideways!

The finishing line is very entertaining if you hit it at three figure speeds anyway. Throw away the book which says don't brake in corners!

If you did a 59 sec run with Slicks?

Arnie

To be honest my car handles like a bag of 🙆🏻. It understeers at the drop of a hat and the lift of oversteer keeps you on your toes. The good thing about somewhere like Curborough is that you can trail brake into corners and use the oversteer to conteract the understeer. In fast corners its dangerous.

I run list 1b radial Khumos which are very soft but seem to fall to bits and overheat, unlike ACB10's which are as soft but hold together much better and are at least 2kg lighter per tyre. So there's a lot of time to be gained just by getting the thing to handle properly. Wide track and a LSD is first on the wish list.

Dave, hope Brighton went well.

My car is widetracked. After years of practice, I've never bettered 59.08 in competition. Without being rude about it, Tony's car really does not look like it should go as fast as he makes it go. I feel quite ashamed of my performance at the last sprint which was pretty crap, but I did enjoy the day. I think I have some suspension issues to address but more than that, I need some driving lessons!

It's not the narrow track or the <200BHP I find suprising, it's the fact that he can do that kind of time on Khumo's and without an LSD.

Respect.