Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

brakes - upgrading master cylinder

Richard J Darnell

I have the standard brakes on a 1998 1.6k supersport. These are good but lack feel compared to the brakes for the Elise I had.

I am told that a good cheapish upgrade to the brakes is to just change the master cylinder.

I understand this will not improve ultimate stopping power but will give better feel and therefore allow me to drive closer to the limit without locking up.

Has anyone done this modification and if so was it worth it?

I recently fitted an Aluminium AP Racing 13/16 cylinder with standard calipers (cast iron)

The pedal, which lacked some feel, before, became far too hard and quite unpleasant.

I should have known better but I di hope to "gwt away" with it.

I have now fitted Alcon 4-pots, but haven't driven the car yet (Rain, sleet and salt this weekend).

Just changing the cylinder was a really bad idea.

Suggest that you talk with James Whitting as I understand that the Acan's don't need the uprated cylinder.

I found the std brakes crap on my Vx and fitted the Caterham four potters. These gave great feel but due to the volume of the piston I found that I had excess pedal movement. Since I've fitted the AP cylinder to match, I now have fantastic brakes but have lost some of the bite that I desired prior to the upgrade and attained with just the calipers? Pedal now days is solid but still very firm, however, overall bite is alot better than the std cardbaord feeling!

If I can help anymore give me a call 01952 240730

I fitted (or rather Ratrace fitted) an AP racing master cylinder about a month ago (1.6KSS). Feels great! You're right in that the overall braking performance should not be altered but I think that the front/rear balance is different with the upgrade so locking the rears happens less now. The pedal feel is initially hard but you get used to it. I'm looking forward to the pads wearing so I can try some red or green stuffs - doing my best.

Hope this is of help.

James.

I fitted (or rather Ratrace fitted) an AP racing master cylinder about a month ago (1.6KSS). Feels great! You're right in that the overall braking performance should not be altered but I think that the front/rear balance is different with the upgrade so locking the rears happens less now. The pedal feel is initially hard but you get used to it. I'm looking forward to the pads wearing so I can try some red or green stuffs - doing my best.

Hope this is of help.

James.

I have just fitted the uprated master cylinder as supplied by Caterham. I had previously fitted the James Whiting kit with Green Stuff pads. However having upgraded my engine I felt the brakes needed more attention. The uprated master cylinder has certainly given the pedal a rock hard feel.Have also changed the pads to Yellow Stuff.

Once the pads have warmed up the car certainly stops far better than before although not too sure the cost has really been worth it.

Like most times with upgrades the most beneficial change was the intial one, ie the James Whiting Alcon caliper kit. Everything else has been true to the law of dimishing returns.