Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A032R 's in the WET??

Harry Flatters

I'm downsizing to 13" from 16" and was probably going for A032R's all round (budget IS a consideration here). I've heard that they are the dogs dangly bits in the dry but a bit suspect in the wet with standing water.

Does this mean they are definitely not a wet road tyre or are they OK provided it's not monsoon season?

Should I be looking at something else for a mainly road and occasional track car?

Steve Mell

PTM 88

I have used A032's all year round (though currently switching to A021's 70 profile for additional sump clearance). They work OK in the wet, just not as well as in the dry. They are total c**p in snow though.

Seriously, they are not bad in the wet once warm, but in heavy rain/standing water they cool off quite quickly. I found them to be a good all round tyre.

Dave H

Did a trackday in 32R's on 13" wheels and the weather changed, it poured down for the whole day and on the way home.

The car handled pretty well considering, others pushed their cars harder with similar tyres on. I even got overtaken by some nutter in dry weather slicks when I thought I was pushing it. I did aqua-plane a little.

I think you would be better off with 21R's instead for all-round use, 32r's won't last many trackdays and you might find you are driving home on illegal tyres before you know it.

You will all also get more miles out of 21R's, They reckon you will get about 4500 miles with a mixture of road & some track use on 32R's. (3000 of only track use).

21R's should last about 5500 to 6500 miles of road & some track use.

Steve - if as you say this is smainly for the road then IMO the 32's are fine

yesterday I did donnington in the very wet and they where OK, the poor driving and car setup probably caused more concern wink.gif

on the drive back on the motoway the 32's where fine and it was very wet even over some of the very wet sections at 80ish

however driving in these conditions with wind deflector and no half height doors was horrible!

rob

the screen or lack off wasn't the problem it was the spray off the other cars and from the front wheels that soaked us from the side it was also very windy which didn't help

half height doors would have possibly kept a lot of the water off, n emore thing to add to the list

anyway that was a spare screen wink.gif in the wrong color

the 32's will not last as long as the 21's as snapper says so if on-going budget is an issue then the 21's may be a good bet (I have never driven on 21's) as they will last longer.

rob

032's are fine in the wet, there are undoubtly better wet tyres but how often are you planning to go out in the wet.

I've done 5000+ of miles on my set of 32's, (admittedly now very suspect) but included 3 track days thrashing the bullocks out of it and a Le Mans trip.

Done many sections of motorway in the pissing down rain with standing water at 80+ (to stay dry you understand..) It gets nervous sometimes but then so does my Passat.

Bottom line, an excellent tyre lots of grip, heavy, reasonable lifespan, reasonably expensive

I've done plenty of all weather miles on both these and 21Rs and if you want an all round road tyre, the 21R is the one to go for.

It's much better in the wet and lasts longer. OK, it grips less in the dry and has poorer turn in characteristics (marginally), but the 21R can give silly speeds on the road so why have more than you can safely use 99% of the time? I also think it's more progressive.

The 32R does look much better though.