Click here if you are having website access problems ×

RHD to LHD conversion

Rodders

I have searched all the forums without success for some information on this topic. Given the difficulty of sourcing LHD cars at realistic prices (anything LHD in France, Germany, Switzerland appears prohibitively expensive), I am wondering whether anybody has any experience of converting a Se7en from RHD to LHD (ideally a VX powered de-dion)question.gif

I am thinking about importing a LHD Se7en into the United Arab Emirates (no RHD cars allowed to drive on the roads here unfortunately)sad.gif. Due to parts availability VX power is really the only viable option. Sorry all you x-flow/k series fans wink.gif The fact that the price of petrol, leaded or 99 ron (honestly!)unleaded is approx. 77p a gallon, doesn't really make fuel consumption an issue biggrin.gif

In addition, would be interested to know if anybody has any thoughts on whether a VX powered car running on carbs or on injection would be better suited to operating temperatures that will fluctuate between 20c and 40c during the non-summer months I intend to use it?

Without a Se7en - Life's a B*tch sad.gif

Rodders,

Ar you in touch with Mike Biddle?

He's a VX 7 owner in Dubai and has a good knbowledge of the car. He also did a carbs to inj. conversion I think. With the high humidy and air temp I would suggest an injected system on TB's would be a good idea.

As a suggestion to your supply problem how about you buy a second hand car in the UK with all the good bits (Lee's car advertised at 12k is an example) AND buy a LHD starter kit from Caterham.

Build the old car on the new chassis and you will still get good money for a 2nd hand chassis.

AW

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Arnie

I have met Mike Biddle, Nick Lyford and most of the other Se7eners out here. I attended a recent autocross/sprint event at a local airfield and watched Mike's car take fastest time on the short course. He only lost out to a heavily modified 911 on the long course due to braking problems and a spin!

Have you any idea how much a LHD starter kit from Caterham costs, ideally exclusive of VAT? I wonder how this "transplant" will be recorded by the DVLA? Whilst the car would be exported after the operation, any change in the year of first registration as evidenced by the Certificate of Registration could, I guess, impact on the import duty levied and payable in Dubai. I will have to check this out.

I will discuss the carbs/injection issue with Mike and Nick. As I recall, Nick's car is currently running on carbs. From your travels in K2 RUM, is fuel vapourisation the main drawback in extreme temperatures?

Rodders,

If you change the chassis spec on your car there is nothing to stop you fitting the old chassis plate....Year of manu and reg details would remain the same.

I think a starter kit costs around £4500 exc. VAT. They wont supply it VAT free unles thye deliver to a freght forwarder or ship direct out of the UK/EU.

I guess as another alternative you could call Arch Motors and ask for a quote on RHD to LHD conversion. I would not expect this would cost that much - maybe £1000... For I guess about £2000 you could have a full chassis refurb so the chassis at least looks like new.

Finally Fuel vap is not the issue, air temp is.

An injection set up would allow you to add to the map a variable of air temp. Most aftermarket injected cars have this though I doubt they are set up to deal with air temp as high as 40deg c. At least if you have this feature and the car runs like a dog, you can change the fuel/air temp compensation map with a PC out where you are.

Fat Arn

Rodders,

From memory....

Wiring loom (a competent auto electrician could sort the exizting loom...)

On a VX - Clutch - needs conversion to hydraulic for LHD

Exhaust - one of the primaries needs modifying or replacing

Handbrake lever

Wiper Rack (maybe - but as it never rains in the UAE....)

Throttle cable (longer)

Steering rack

I think thats about it for a VX car -n which I think you are looking at....

Fat Arn