Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K series oil consumption

Ozzy

Anybody know what the accepted norm would be over a couple of thousand miles or so 🤔

Unless I did'nt check it properly last time, It looks like I may have used 1/2 litre over approx 1800 miles. It's definately not burning it though.

Oz.

Still Shaking.

6 speed 1600k Supersport

(keep forgetting to tell people what it is!)

My 1.8 doesn't use any over 3-4000 miles. It is relatively early in it's life at the moment with just 13500 miles.

(and anybody that points out the plume of smoke coming from the back of mine at Bedford - that's down to an overfill from the one and only time I let someone else change the oil on my car *eek*)

Kent7

One thing I did notice a few months ago. There seemed to be a slight streak of oil where the bellhousing meets the gearbox. At the time I thought it may be a slight leak from the g/box, although it can't be anything significant. There's never any oil on the floor. Is it possible that it's coming from the engine end? Maybe from the end of the crankshaft. Anyway, I'll check the oil again after 500 miles, to see if it's used any more.

Oz.

Still Shaking.

6 speed 1600k Supersport

(keep forgetting to tell people what it is!)

There seemed to be a slight streak of oil where the bellhousing meets the gearbox.

Hard to say without looking at it.

FWIW, my 5-speed is covered in oil. There's a slight leak from the prop seal - but most of it is just from the vent on the top-cover. I'm sure my box is always slightly overfilled.

You should be able to tell what sort of oil it is by getting some on your finger and sniffing it (no, really...). Engine oil is pretty innocuous - but gearbox oil *stinks*... *eek*

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com