Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

What torque setting for wheel nuts?

Phil

Thanks, quick reply.

I am looking into buying some Titanium wheel nuts and I have posted futher down, a lot of people are worried about the strength but I feel it is a case normally of people over tightening that causes the problems.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

...and torque them when the wheel is cold 😬

Seriously, I torque mine before every venture out on track, and it is noticeable how much more you can do them up when the wheel is warm - effectively stressing the studs when the wheel cools down.

Charles

---

My SuperGraduates 2005 diary

My Caterham Academy 2004 build and race diary

Yep - any lubricant will mean you will massively over tighten them.

Afraid I rely on feel - it's worked so far.

Could always do what kwik fit did to a mate - run them up with the air wrench - then stick the toque wrench on - it clicked at the right torque setting . . . he had great difficulty getting them to believe that if they torqued them over the required figure, of course the wrench clicked! And now would they like to try getting them back off again!

Bri

Bricol

I agree, people like crap fit use this lazy way of doing it and pull the wool over your eyes, ask them the setting and they have not got a clue.

I thought that the thread was lubricated but not the seat where it meets the wheel.

Is this correct?

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

You must NEVER use copaslip or any other lubricant - without the friction of the thread you can stretch the studs before you will reach the setting on your torque wrench. Better to throughly clean the thread with a wire brush and put some copaslip on the back of the wheel hub to stop it corroding on to the hub

Cor this could be a can of worms

Doing wheel nuts up with no lube can mean that the fixing torques out due to friction in the taper before the stud has stretched sufficiently. Remember that the stud is only like a piece of elastic that pulls the two surfaces together. If it's not tight enough to start with, the two surfaces (wheel/hub) can move and cause the nut/bolt to loosen.

Over,,,,

PS

When torquing you must keep rotating until the setting is reached; If you stop at 85% the stiction will mean that at the next pull the torque required to break the stiction will be higher than the specified final torque. As implied earlier.

Over,,,

Edited by - susser on 6 Sep 2005 12:47:37

IMHO use of a torque wrench is not a reliable method due to the aforementioned reasons of varying friction in both the threads and the surface beneath the nut. The torque figure quoted 55lbft would have been calculated I suspect with non-lubricated threads or compression surfaces. Adding lubrication reduces the friction with the possible resultant over stretching (and stressing) of the bolt or stud.

For very large diameter or long bolts the angular tightening method is used. The joint is tightened until the joint is closed and then a further prescribed angle of rotation is applied to the nut . Sometimes on very large fasteners (steam turbine cyclinder bolts for example), they are also heated after the initial tightening so that the angle can be easily applied without huge torques. When the bolt or stud cools it remains stretched.

A science in itself *thumbup*

Bozz

It's not MANGO it's TANGO (McLaren Orange and Black 1.6SS)

In my experience the LP cylinders were flogged up (flogging spanner and 14pounder *eek*) but the HP and Ip casing bolts (much bigger and longer) were heat tightened.

Bozz *wink*

I think we've wandered off the thread a bit here but if I remember rightly the steam conditions produced by Magnox Reactors verges on the 'wet' 😬 and is relatively low pressure.

Bozz