Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Champ standings etc... NOW POSTED

Silver 21

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Locust

Have corected it on the Master File and will repost to the website later.

Paul

I have already ammended your score to 146.3 as Mr Nelson pointed out the error, I still get his score to 143 dead though *confused* *confused* *confused*

Graham

Competition Secretary

*cool* 2005 Speed Championship - 13 Rounds with 7 counting towards the championship *cool*

Combine both the current system and DJ's.

So a great drive on the day winning the class easy would get 21.5 but since the driver was off the class record by say 2 secs he would also get 8 pts

The actuall points could be thrashed out to balance things up at a later date but the principle of using both methods although slightly complicated would as far as i can push my brain to work at this time of night be sound.

Why not max 22 pts for each system.

Look at NASCAR they actually keep the chamionship close by allowing a large number of points to be scored at each round not actually lowering the points available.

See my signature - Make sure you bring them for Wiscombe

MY 51VEN

Give it some Welly

Guys,

On the scoring side what some of you won't know is that BB (and I) selected the system that was then used by the Midland Speed Championship for the Lotus 7 Club Speed Championship. This was felt to be a system that awarded points to everyone and provided the correct level of incentive across the field - for the fast boys, the mid field - and crucially for novices. In general I feel it achieves almost all of those objectives.

There is a potential problem at the top though with lots of drivers scoring 21.5 points or very close to that for each of their qualifying rounds. To address this issue the Midland Speed Championship changed its scoring very slightly a couple of years ago with the following amendments:

The winner of the championship class would get 21 points (no adjustment for time relative to seond place). A definite incentive to win the class rather than come a close second.

Second place 20 points and third etc as current based on time relative to second place.

In addition to the above bonus points are awarded to each competitor who beats the class record for their class at an event. The bonus points awarded will be equal to the time difference between the class record and the competitors time up to a max of 0.5 points at each event. So if the first and second in a class beat the class record then both get up to 0.5 bonus points.

Also bonus points awarded at ALL events will count towards a competitors score for the season - not juts the bonus points scored at a competitors best 7 events. No dropped bonus points.

(For reference the 2005 Redline Midland Speed Championship consists of 22 events with 8 best scores counting - but with some restrictions - eg minimum of 2 hillclimb events scores to count.)

So overall this adds something for the fast boys to aim at - across all of their events - even if only much slower chaps turn up on the day.

The snag is that clearly before the season starts there needs to be a definitive class record for each class at each venue. Due to our classes this may be quite difficult to do at new venues but obviously it is possible.

So I think this proposal keeps the best bits of what we have - and adds spice at the top end in a similar way to Dave J's thoughts. Obviously if its a wet event then there will not be any bonus points awarded - but the basic scoring structure as now remains.

My two penneth - which doesn't throw out everything we have!

Brian

Looks like we are debating 2 issues in one thread, so here's my 2 penneth..

1) Points scoring - personally i think what we have works well, if you add in the bonus points for beating class record then everyone has something to aim for. The idea of people below a certain time getting no points seems unfair as the slowest novices get absolutely no reward for their efforts.

2) Number of rounds - the fact that we have a lot of options through the year is great, but I found 7 events a little too onerous with a young family, and may again next year with a new baby.

If the worry is people not going to new venues then why not have 5 rounds counting, but you can only score points once from each venue. I.e you can go to Curborough 4 times but only your best round counts. That way people have to go to 5 venues, but you can be a championship contender on only 5 drives.

Steve

Steve

Your final point doesn't make sense, if you do 4 curbouroughs with only one counting and you need 5 rounds to score you could need to do a total of 8 events to have 5 scoring rounds.

I still believe this would be detrimental to a championship as competitors would only go to rounds they know they would do well at, leaving other events undersubscribed.

Graham

Competition Secretary

*cool* 2005 Speed Championship - 13 Rounds with 7 counting towards the championship *cool*

The joys of typing things whilst trying to do stuff in the office 😬

What i mean to say is that you can qualify for the championship by doing any 5 rounds. If your 6th event is Curborough for the 2nd time and you improve your score then you drop your previous Curborough score.

This allows those with the time and resources to attend 4 curboroughs in the year, but allows the cash or time strapped to still qualify for the championship.

As for people going to the rounds they only do well at - is there not a likelihood of people going to the most local rounds. I.e Longcross is great for those in the South whilst Aintree is a pig.

Steve

CHAMPIONSHIP IDEA *idea* This is brilliant a revolution a combination of all above ideas *thumbup*,

first you take the class record or projected class record time, take away 5 seconds, this is your base time,

if you beat this time you get 40 points, then you decrease the points for every half -second over the base time by 1 points a half-second for the first five seconds, i.e. better the record by 2 sec = 34 points

this brings you back to the record time. Then for every second over the record time you decrease by one point. i.e over class record by 2 sec = 28 points

you still win tropheys on who wins on the day, but the championship will cover the eventuality of only having one car in class i.e. in class 1 😬 *thumbup*

I hear you saying "but what if it rains", then there will be a second championship for all wet weather rounds 😬 but wet points will still count towards full championship *thumbup*

p.s. whoever works out the scores needs to be a member of MENSA 😳

Robert Herring

Rob@gprdirect.com

GPR Direct Motorsport Equipment

Edited by - Kipper Jnr on 9 Sep 2005 12:02:36

Graham,

Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things , but my last run at curb 4 was a PB of 63.73 not 63.93!

Also would like to say that I have had great fun competing in this, my first year of sprinting *tongue*, and look forward to doing the same next year.

See you at Harewood. (Cant make Wiscome *mad*)

Jeff Smith