Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Champ standings etc... NOW POSTED

Silver 21

Rob *smile* the current system is based upon how fast 2nd place man goes . The points that a newcomer would earn are proportional to the pace of second place man . If the newcomer drove ouit of his skin and scored 21.5 he would be chuffed I'm sure , this system allows a comparative time to the class record so he is in effect racing against who has been the best at that venue previously - even if they are not present . I would say that is a greater reward ?

In the wet - everyone else is also in the wet so you all score low points. But the fastest man will still score the highest points .

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but what if the newcomer drives out of skin and wins and only gets 5 points *confused* or less, just becuase nobody faster turned up on the day why should they be penalised for that...

I am just doing a bit of advocating for the devil here *tongue*

we have not had a decent debate on here for a while, not since troublemaker did his 2005 regs post 😬

The number of rounds this year hasn't been a problem and kinda makes you commit to doing a significant proportion of the championship rounds....If only 4-5 counted then people could well just pick their favoured rounds, leaving some events pretty unsupported!

However, the tail end of the season is VERY heavily loaded with rounds which is proving a problem! A more even distribution through the year would be welcomed next year if poss....and, I realise this is dependant on the dates of the rounds we are invited to hence it's not a direct criticism!

Dannyboy *tongue*

153bhp and 184lb/ft ??????????????????? My arse *tongue*

And....I vote that yellow cars driven to each event should be given extra points next year.....and, modified 1600's should be banned from Classes 2 & 3......Debate *tongue* *tongue* *tongue* *tongue* *tongue*

Note: 1600's have won every round of Class 2 this year 😬 😬 😬 😬 and been quicker through every speed trap *eek* *eek* *eek*

😬

Dannyboy *tongue*

Is Dannyboy taking over from where Mr Nelson has left off, if so should he change his Blatchat name to 'Troublemaker 2' 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

Graham

Competition Secretary

*cool* 2005 Speed Championship - 13 Rounds with 7 counting towards the championship *cool*

and, modified 1600's should be banned from Classes 2 & 3......Debate

Note: 1600's have won every round of Class 2 this year

Well at least that takes the pressure off the crossflows so they can stay in class 2 and 3. So that is one debate that Mark doesn't have to worry about at the meeting. *thumbup* 😬

Psssssst Dannyboy, don't tell them or they will change the rules, but my crossflow was fastest in class 2 through the speedtrap at MIRA by 3mph *thumbup* 😬 😳

Edited by - Graham Perry on 7 Sep 2005 16:06:39

Any head work at all Rob 😬 😬 😬 😬

And....I'm driving as quickly as my old shed will take me 😬 😬 😬 😬 I think the gaffer tape and blu tack is slowing me down *tongue*

Ahem...I am younger than i look graham...it's been hard working down t'pit all me life....evil dad sendin me out to work to pay for all them spangly bits for 'is car 😬 😬

Dannyboy *tongue*

Rob ,

The senario you state is pretty rare where a novice would win *and* be 5 seconds off the class record , the more common problem is class leaders getting 21.5's all season dependng on who turns up ( and yes I speak from experience ) . There is no fun in that for the class leaders either remember *eek* *tongue*

As I see it everyone would have the same relative target - the fastest time ever posted in class . *smile*

Dave

*smile*No Rob it doesnt come down to appeasing a few who dominate their class, quite the opposite . If you think about it carefully and use one of the current rounds as an example . If say you came 3rd at the moment it doesnt matter how hard *you* drove as your points are releative to the pace of second place man on the day . But this system compares you against the fastest ever in your class - so it removes the paddock talk of "who is coming to Wiscombe?" "ohh great I can get a max score" . It also acts a comparison of all classes - it will identify the driver that has been closest to or bettered the class record all season - regardless of who else has turned up or contested only 7 rounds from 12 .

If a driver currently has a pace of mid field - say 4 seconds off the class leader and hence 4 seconds ish off the class record , then you will score about 6 points instead of having your score compared against who else turned up - presently you would get 16 points - you wouldnt be compared against the class record - it is too dependant on who else turns up .

If you want to see what happens over time - take a look at the Midland series , Those leading their classes where there is a wide spread of skill / pace get max scores , the rest of the field cant catch up on the 1.5 points (1.5 seconds) scored over and above second place man over 7 rounds.

Where as on the south west championship , the fastest in class cant run away with points unless they slaughter the class record ( rare and well earned !) , so it keeps the championship and classes closer untill the end of the season .

Like i say , just a good discussion .

I just feel its one area of our championship that could be improved - the clases all appear to be very competitive and the number of novices this year was high - so all the signs are good *smile*

Dave - ISWYM *smile* - and I guess you have more experince about these things as you compete in other championships, that I only have limited knoweldge of....

I still don't see what is wrong with the fact of you scoring maximum points on the day if you where the fastest, independent of who turns up, but lets agree to disagree on this one as there is no 'correct' answer...

what it all comes down to is competition at the top of the classes, and in some classes there are chances of a number of people winning at any event, and others you can pretty much garuntee who will win if they turn up....and i don't think either points scoring option really solves that problem...

I guess what we have to decide is what is best for the championship as a whole....

rob *smile*

• Area Representative

Gents,

Initially I thought I liked the idea of competing against class records, however, if you were lucky enough to choose only the events that stayed dry, then you'd easily beat the folks who were unlucky to choose the events that turn out to be wet.

In addition to this, there is a serious risk that all but the very quickest, would come away from a wet event with NO POINTS! Very demoralising!

Class records could also prove a problem for class 4 - Griff has significantly lowered most of the class 4 records this year and won by massive margins at most events. This would relegate anyone not driving a bike engined monster to certain low point scores.

Perhaps the answer is for those that consistently significantly beat the opposition, to move to another class?

Hello All

Where should I start 😬

Well could be the point system 🤔

or the number of rounds 🤔

Well here goes

I thought 12 rounds was quite a lot. I will have done 9 I think.

The main problem is the calander. I know we only have little or no influance but its been a game of 2 halfs. I found the long lay off difficult, and also so many events in the last few weeks.

If the dates were spread it would make life at home easyer. i do not understand how my wife (just 1) puts up with it. I realise that having 3 children under 4 does not help thing and look forward to 10yrs time when they all come to watch. 0 i got that wrong they coming to Harewood.

This is only my 2nd year and its been great. I have no veiws on the point system at this time and look forward to my winter changes/mods 😬

David

Graham

It would appear the points total for David and myself are wrong. *confused*

It seems like my points for Curborough3 have been dropped instead of Curborough4. Which should give me a total of 146.30

As for Davids score, I think it should read 142.49 not 143.00

Can you confirm if this is correct.

Need to know as the champagne's on ice! 😬

Cheers

Paul