Click here if you are having website access problems ×

X/Flow Carbs.

cskip

Have noticed a metallic noise coming from only one of the carbs (40s) on my X/flow. The noise is most noticeable on tick-over and slowly disappears as the revs increase. Any suggestion as to what it can be?

This may be irrelevant, but the engine will not tick-over when cold. This seems to have got worse recently.

Thanks in advance.

Clive.

Crossflow - Loud and Proud!

i'm having a carb problem at the moment as well... see my 'x flow carburettor problem' posting for a link to dave andrews' excellent web page.

the idling problem may be due to a couple of things... in my relatively mechanically un-educated opinion.

the obvious; the idling speed may be set to low.. it should be 900-1100 rpm. don't forget that our cars don't have a choke, so they won't idle happily for the first 3-5 minutes of motoring.

then, i'd check the balance of the carbs with a simple carb balancing tool. though i'm not sure 100% that this may be causing the problem, it could be influencing it.

then, i'd buy the haynes weber carb book and have a read.. perhaps one of your jets ( the 'idle jet' springs to mind ) may be clogged. they are very fine parts, and only a tiny particle of contaminant may be to blame. you can unscrew them and have a look, but best to read the book to find out which screws they hide under.

otherwise, do what i'm doing. get stumped, decide that you're not brave enough to pull the thing off and take it to pieces yourself, and call your local mechanic !! try and find someone who has been in the business for a while, and they'll probably be able to fix it in their sleep.

g'luck, and let me know how you go,

j