Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wiring Up an Autocom

Jimchap

I have just purchased an Autocom system and need some advice on how to wire (power) it up correctly. I have looked at the various threads on BC but none seem to exactly equate to what I want to fit. Being a bit of an electronic numpty simple advice would be preferred.

The car is a 2005 140 Roadsport SV with removeable Momo and start button. The Autocom kit I have ordered is a Pro-7 Main unit, 2 ear protector tpye headsets and Bluetooth phone set up (for my Nokia 6230i) and a music connection for my CD player. I aim to run the CD off batteries. I am planning on installing the main unit in the boot (bulkhead behind the passenger) and running the CD cable to the front of the transmission tunnel and the headsets down the back of the bulkhead to shoulder height for driver/passenger. The bluetooth will negate any need for phone wires.

The main questions are :

1. Is it better to power the main unit permanetly from the 12v car battery or from replaceable batteries in the unit ?

2. If powering from the car battery where is the recommended place to connect it up to ? (fuse box, horn button, heated screen switch, unused fuse position etc ?)

3. The power supply appears to have just the two wires coming from the unit (red/balck) should there also be an earth installed somewhere ?

4. Will the Bluetooth phone adaptor also need a power source ? If so where should this be connected ?

If it's going to stay in the seven and not be moved from car to car I'd power it direct from the car, mines connected to the fan switch as I don't have a fan 😬 but the heated windscreen switch sounds fine if you don't have one of those.

The black wire is the earth so you can just connect that to the car somewhere. (for a while mine was connected to the FIA bar bolt! but it's been tided up now)

Not sure about the bluetooth adapater but I suspect it will need power as well.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

the black wire from the autocom IS the earth.

I have a box under the dash for powering all my accessories. I ran a lead from this via the hole in front of the gear stick to the +VE terminal of the battery. MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE A FUSE somewhere in-line on this cable or ChrisW WILL tell you off! 😬

I then used an earthing point under the dash.

All my accessories are wired up inside this box, with a big red 'aircraft' style switch on the dash for isolating them all.

• Area Representative

Personally, I found the best place for the Autocom unit is on the passenger side bulkhead next to the fuse box (I used sticky pads). This makes it easy to adjust the VOX if necessary. Leads for headsets are cable tied to the kneetrims under the dash (I think I had to use extensions).

So far as powering it is concerned, the best option is to use the spare terminal on the ignition switch. Remove the plastic cover of the switch and then use a meter or bulb and wire to find the correct terminal. It comes on when switch is in 1st position i.e. before ignition comes on. This is the position normally used for radio on a car and means you can use it when stopped and with engine off, but switches it off when the key is removed.

You connect the red wire to this (use an in line fuse) and the black wire to a suitable earth.

Not sure about the 'bluetooth' requirements, but if a power source is required, no reason why you can't use the same terminal.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

• Support Team

I have installed mine in the boot in the centre of the bulkhead using self adhesive velcro. The wires for the headsets are then fed through the gaps in the bulkhead where the seat belts would have been mounted.

I have run a separate fused live from the battery along the transmission tunnel and into the boot along with a separate earth - these terminate in a 2.4mm DC power socket and the corresponding plug is wired to the Autocom. You could just earth to any convenient point. The music and phone wires are then run along the transmission tunnel exiting near the handbrake for easy connection to the required devices. I haven't got a switch on mine but if left for any length of time I unplug it. It would be very simple to put a switch in line with the live wire and mount it on the dash board. I took the opportunity to add a second socket in the boot for a bullet cam and one under the dash plus a dash mounted cigarette lighter socket for powering other things like SatNav.

Yellow SL *cool* #32