Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Alternator bracket bolt to engine

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Removed my alternator last night and found that the bolt that secures the bracket (the bit that allows adjustment of alternator position) to the engine block had disappeared *eek*. Obviously I hadn't tightened it up enough and it has worked loose - dosen't seem to have sheared as I can get another bolt into the hole.

Question - what size and thread is the missing bolt?

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

Sounds good. Unfortunately no Aldi in Slough so will have to leave that for another day. Looks like another trip to Apex Fasteners on the trading estate - I should have opened an account there really!

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Shaun

It is an M10 IIRC, is the spacer still there? about 30mm long goes between slide and block!

It also has a small o-ring that is supposed to help it stay done up!

I have some suitable bolts at home if needed

Mark

• Support Team

Mark - M10 actually looks right as I bought both M8 and M10 earlier. Unfortunately I don't think that the spacer is still there ☹️ but I'll check when I get home. I'm not entirely sure there should be one but I will check - will have to use washers to pack it out if necessary. Will definitley loctite it in there this time *thumbup*.

I wonder if this missing bolt had anything to do with the alternator failing? The alternator hadn't moved from the position it was set in and the belt tension was fine but maybe some vibration killed it off.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

Spacer was missing ☹️.

Is this a Caterham only part or a generic Rover one? I haven't got enough washers to pack it out and it is a fairly long spacer so probably not the best move either.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Shaun

It is a Rover part I think, indeed I'm sure I got my replacement from Kingsbury's in Hampton

I may have something that willl do the job,or we can make something, need to know o/a depth though!

btw I'mreckon Caterham can supply it

Mark

• Support Team

Mark - I'll try local Rover dealer tomorrow and failing that Caterham. If neiher can supply then I'll try and get dimensions and I'll take you up on the offer to make one. Thanks.

Yellow SL *cool* #32