Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil Level

I reply to every thread

My newly upgraded VX XE is chucking out oil from the cam cover when it is given a good larruping.It doesn't when being driven "sensibly". It may be down to over filling it.

I've read somewhere that the wet sump vaux should be filled to 4 or 5 mm above the max mark on the dipstick. We did that when filling the lump after re-inserting it.

It's now chucked out enough oil that it's sitting on the max mark.

Where do you other carb/throttle bodies boys fill to?

Any ideas as to why it's doing it - other than excess crankcase pressure. I'm not doing a compression test yet if only because it showed no signs of ring or bore wear previously.

THX

Matthew,

From new my HPC/carbs threw oil out of dipstick (stick used to blow out by an inch or two).......told Caterham of this who said no probs...cable tie dipsick to the breather pipe, which I've always done. I still overfill by 5/6mm and no oil seeps anywhere. Are you sure yours is coming from the cam cover and not blowing up from stick as I've personally had no trauma with those quite substantial rubber cover gaskets........by the way compression test showed mine to be blob on even with this problem.

Kenny HPC

PS I mailed you a couple of pics of car.