Click here if you are having website access problems ×

TITANIUM WHEEL NUTS

Phil

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, just weighed the slim style nut with internal allen key hole 12mm.

Original nut 53.5g

Titanium nut 20.4g

T/slim/style 16.6g

Would anyone like pics? akapmr@aol.com

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

Edited by - phil on 3 Sep 2005 13:00:09

Edited by - phil on 3 Sep 2005 13:31:20

I don't think the socket diameter will be an issue even with the new style R3-4-500 wheels. As far as I remember the nuts for these still will be 19mm hex, whereas these are 17mm. Worst case you can use a deep socket. I would never go for the internal allen key type, based on my experiences in the industry (not automotive!)

What conserns me is however a company that claims it's nuts to weigh 1/10, when this actually is quite far from the mark. Would they know what they are doing, or are they just show-off's?

/r

RJ, good point on the weight thing.

I have the R3/4/500 wheels in 15 inch but I still use the original steel nuts which are 19mm. They kindly sent me a sample of both and I have fitted both and if you email me I will send you some pictures.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

I'll ask someone whom I'd recon know what he's talking about. He works with car approval. I'll probably neger gat a "proffesional" statement from him, but his opinion is worth listening to anyway. As soon as I know anything, I'll post.

Phil, are you still using your 19mm key for the titanium nuts? On the web page they are said to be 17mm hex *confused*

I would be interested in seeing these nuts, could you email a picture to tlt at rj.dk?

/regin

Thanks Phil,

There is no doubt that if I were to fit any of these it would be the "std" style I'd go for - both to make sure that I can tighten it properly - and untighten ! - and because the larger diameter makes force better distributed - sorry don't know the correct English term. A shear will always be in 45 deg, hence, if the OD of the slim one is 18mm this leaves about 3mm wall thickness, if the key with of the other one is 19mm and you have the collar in addition to this, then you have a much longer part of the nut contributing as a "structural member". Looking at the picture, the max OD of the std item is approximately 25 mm, leaving a wall thickness of 6,5mm, hence the structural member is more than twice as long too.

Just incase, I find a lot of people unaware that wheel nuts should not be done up very tight, it is natural to do them as hard as possible but it is wrong.

If there is an expert anyone can talk to this question will be a good one to ask.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

They are advertising at £3.50 each at present and I am trying to get a better price, I do need a few more people to show an interest to do this. I have three friends with Nissan Skylines and they all use these on and off the track.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

wonky custard

i got my wheeels/nuts from caterham- 2 were so incorrectly sized i had to buy 2 more. both the head and shaft were 1mm too big.

then had 1 shear off at the head/shaft connection when checking the torque before heading out on track (with a torque wrench 😬)

jerry