Click here if you are having website access problems ×

TITANIUM WHEEL NUTS

Phil

www.stormmotorsport.co.uk

under wheels and then parts

Ok More info now on page 2, would like a show of hands to find out how many interested to try and get a discount on a bulk buy. We need to show interst and numbers even though we will buy direct individually.

Any pictures required email me akapmr@aol.com

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

Edited by - phil on 2 Sep 2005 15:26:13

Edited by - phil on 2 Sep 2005 15:45:13

Edited by - phil on 3 Sep 2005 16:26:49

Edited by - phil on 4 Sep 2005 09:33:37

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Design Concepts

Overall, a vehicle weight reduction of 1% is claimed to give a reduction in fuel consumption of some 0.7%. Weight reduction in the moving parts of the engine is however likely to be much more effective in achieving improved fuel economy than body weight reduction. Titanium alloy density is some 60% that of steel, and the elastic modulus is about half that of steel. Direct substitution of steel parts with titanium is rarely the best way to proceed, but in practice should produce an immediate weight reduction of at least 40%. The low modulus of titanium is beneficial for springs, but component redesign may be necessary in stiffness limited applications. Specific strength, and likewise specific toughness and fatigue limits of titanium compare very favourably to both steel and aluminium alloys.

Interesting.

Ever thought about carbon fibre nuts?

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

I have emailed Storm Motorsport asking for a possible discount for the club and for a free wheel nut to see the quality and show it around, well you never know.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

Just received a couple of nuts, one with a built in seat at the bottom and the other looking like it is for Japanese type wheels needing a large allen key to do them up.

Quality looks very good, black in colour and you can see all the way through the nut, top to bottom as there is no built in end cap.

I am off to get them weighed and to fit one to my car, I will report asap as my car is stored at a different address. *cool*

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

We have a weighing machine at work for paint making, handy really.

Steel wheel nut taken of car originaly fitted with prisoner rims

53.5g x 16 = 856g for a set

New light weight nut

20.4g x 16 = 326.4g for a set

_________

596.6g saving

I think the thinner style nut with the internal allen key and smooth outer will be slightly lighter, looking at the face of the standard nut I have tried there is a mark left showing how the wheel nut sits against the wheel and the thinner nut would easily do the job, I will find out the weight of this, sorry as I did not take it with me.

Thinner nut outer diameter 19mm

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR