Click here if you are having website access problems ×

checking oil level in dry sump

robmar

Just been out for a blast and decided I should check the oil level in my superlight with dry sump.

So I read the book followed all the instructions

1. engine to working temp

2. swicth off engine

3. remove cap from top of swirl tower

4. dip the bell tank using dipstick, on the right hand side (is this if sitting in the car?) and adjust till lowerest point of bell tank found

this is where the problem started my dipstick wouldn't reach the bottom and didn't read any oil at all? am I doing something wrong or do I have the wrong dipstick.

This is the first time I have checked the oil level and in the past 2 oil changes I have just put in 5.5 litres and measured using something that could reach the bottom as the dip stick wouldn't

I am getting good pressure 5 bar on the gauge, there are no obvious leaks , the catch tank as about 2 mm of crud in it thats all...

any one any ideas?

rob

I put in an extra litre of mobil 1 just in case.

Rob ,

In addition to opening your belltank , we have opened a big can of worms .

The topic has been discussed at some length before , my personal belief and the general conclusion was that there is no sure method of getting an accurate measure with the K belltank .

It is said that the level should be checked with the engine up to operating temp , shut off then imediatley remove cap and dip from the bottom of the tank . The oil however appears to drain back into the engine ( or somewhere at least!! ) before an accurate repeatable measure can be made .

You could do the process several times and get different readings - up to an apparant 2L difference I've found .

The only way I am sure I have the correct level in the system is to add a little at a time untill some oil gets spat out and into the catch tank .

I was familier with my oil consumption ( prior to stripping the engine ) and I would top it up / check it each each week if I was competing or at lunch during a trackday and usually limit the loss in the catch tank to less than .25L .

This is the method I would suggest untill you "know" your engine , and then reduce the frequency of the check to say every 300 miles on the road / sprint / half a track day .

Dave

Dave - thanks for this, I had a quick trawl of the 'archives' but couldn't find what I was looking for specifically, but you have put most of my fears to rest for a while.

like I say I have topped it up and will check after and before every session tomorrow at donnington, and I will check more often as a precaution.

Rob

Can`t be checked with the engine running as the oil return from the scavenge pump is sprayed into the top of the belltank or swirl tower all over the dip stick.

The method I use is to get the engine oil up to temp , remove the bonnet then stop the engine and dip the oil within a few seconds of stopping the engine. I fill to the top of the plastic bit on the end of the dip stick and thats about 5.5L in total.

Dipstick.. wot dipsticks? Having been deprived of such luxuries on both my apr2001 and sep2001 supplied dumps Ive used the DaveJ method to check the oil.

Have I been short changed, or are there two variations of the Caterham suppied systems?