Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Brake lock

captain chaos

I've got a big brake set up all around and those piddly little handbrake calipers that are as good as a chocolate fireguard on the back and I've finally decided they're going and a line lock is the order of the day.

For any of you that have reverted to this method can you give some tips as to how to locate it (i'm thinking it wll go where the current handbrake is installed but I'm open to suggestion) and where to buy the bits etc..

Thanks

Gary

I had a master cylinder installed that was operated by the hand brake mechanism. Works well and has got through the MOT with out problems. A bit of fannying around to get everything sorted, but the end result is pretty good. Fun getting al of the air out to begin with.

I dont care who's it is, It's floating

I can't remember the name, and I'm not 100% sure a link has been posted in BC - but there is a solution available from one of the independant kitcar makers that converts 'any' race clapper to work as a handbrake.

Basically, you end up with two plates behind each pad and a cable-mechanism that draws them together. I've not heard anyone try them out yet - and FWIW I'd treat them as MOT bodges and possibly take them off again afterwards, but it is an option...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I was just going to suggest a hydraulic handbrake, a la rally cars.

I'm pretty sure that the MOT requires the handbrake to be mechanically operated though.

I can remember welding some little drilled tabs to the top of the pad backing plates so we could pass some pushbike brake cables through, these were connected to the handbrake lever and so appeared to be operating the brakes. Not sure if it was for MOT or scrutineering though.

I did hear a tale of a guy who drilled a hole through the tunnel so that a large screw driver could be dropped through and into the propshaft UJ. Obviously couldn't be tested on a rolling road brake tester, so probably just one of those motoring myths.

Or you could fit an electic line lock, I've just done this on my car. The solenoid sites just below the master cylinder with a little button on the dash to activate it.

BUT as with the line lock you have to apply the brakes first and then press the button to hold which ever line you put it in on, then release the brakes to free the other wheels.

Mines on the front brakes as that seemed like the sensible place for tyre warming etc. 😬

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Chaos, sorry didn't see the request.

To do as I've done you need to remove the tunnel cover, cut the brake pipe and remove a small section. Then flare the two ends (after putting the connectors on the pipe). I fixed the acual line lock with two jubilee clips around the chassis tube, Fit the two pipe to the line lock, bleed the rear brakes and refit the tunnel.

The electric version is easier as you can fit it under the bonnet and run the wires to the dash. However the electric one will be on/off whereas the lever type can be gradually let off.

You can ring me on 0870 080 2300. If you're near Sheffield you're more than welcome to pop roand and I'll do it for you.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here