Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Front upright/hub dismantling

Sam Monoogian

As one of my front hubs (classic suspension) is a bit sticky I tried to dismantle the front upright to investigate. But I'm not sure how they come apart.

From initial inspection I thought that it was a simple case of removing the central nut on the suspension side of the upright and then removing the hub. But this seems too simple (in theory - if this is the case the hub is stuck in pretty solid).

Can anyone enlighten me?

If you want to take the hub off the stub axle you will need to remove the caliper.

Then take the dust cover off the wheel bearing, remove the split pin and undo the nut that holds the wheel bearings. I would then remove the outer wheel bearing.

The hub and disc should then pull off the stub axle without too much trouble.

The stub axle is most certainly taper fitted to the upright, and will need a press to remove it, suggest just slackenimg the nut on the inboard side by approx 2 turns, this will prevent the stub axle shaft becoming a missile as it releases from its mounting, that's if you need to dismantle it this far, previous entry will get your hub off for inspection, clean, re-grease etc, perhaps a new set of bearings?, have fun. Regards Nigel.

• 2 weeks later...