Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1400-1800 k upgrade questions

jp7

Hi, i've got myself a 1800 K, what parts can i carry over from the 1400. I have a caterham lightened steel 1400 flywheel, will this work with the 1800 and an emerald m3dk management. Also can i use the starter motor and alternator. I was planning to buy a pace drysump when it becomes available, if not if i used the sump, i believe i would have to drill the holes out so it would fit the 1800, subsequently could this then be reused on the 1400.

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Andy

I can`t see any reason why the Caterham Lightweight flywheel cannot be fitted to your 1.8 it will certainly fit mechanically. It is possible that a different trigger pattern was used on your 1.4 but AFAIK the M3D can be configured to read this. If you plan to dry sump you will require a dry sump pan the stock wet sump won`t do. The Pace kit should include this.

Not 100% sure but you might find keeping the 1400 in tact and buying the bits you want for the 1800 will be more economical as you can sell the 1400 on completion of the new one. And end up with new parts on your 1800.

You can also keep the 1400 while you build the 1800.

Get Mick to lend you all the bits!!!!!

I found the 1800 alternator is a better bet if you want to use an Apollo tank (more clearance). Don't forget that the two rear holes at the back of the sump ideally want to be counter bored rather than just drilled as you want a flat surface for the socket cap bolts to pull up against.

Starter motor from the 1400 is fine, but you'll need to remove a lot of the cast in web that is in the way! I took photos of the R500 unit on the stand at Caterham parts dept and measured it to get it right and still left a fraction too much !

On another note, did Mick send you that picture of the side repeater?

Hi, thanks for all the replies. I was hoping that i could carry most of the stuff over and you've all just confirmed it. As you said Chris, i can always borrow off Mick!- I hope he reads this. Nope i didn't get an email about the repeaters, i called the caravan place repeatedly(if you excuse the pun) but nobody seemed to be there. Why do we want to change them?- because those of us with glorious flared wing cars wish to differenciate them from the cycle wing masses!!

Cheers

Andy