Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Front pagid pads & squeal shims

Dirty Den

Hi all-

I've taken my front pads (Pagid RS15s) out of the front calipers to check them after a recent trackday, they're fine. But I've noticed that my calipers didn't have any squeal shims in them at all - is this normal?

I was going to apply copper grease to the backs of the pads, can/should I still do this if the pads are going to be going straight into the caliper with no squeal shim between the back of the pad and the inside of the caliper?

Cheers,

Den

http://www.dens7.co.uk

Which clappers have you got?

My HiSpec 4-pots don't have squeel-shims - and as my car is mainly used on the road, I ended up sourcing and fitting some of those stick-on pads.

Although they helped reduce/eliminate the squeel, they did seem to introduce a certain amount of sponginess to the brakes - so I ditched'em.

I don't think there is any reason why you can't just apply copper-grease, but I have not found it to be terribly effective on its own.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Certainly 2-pots, so almost certainly the standard brakes.

You can see the shims on the page I posted a link to. They belong to the calipers rather than the pads (i.e. you *don't* get a new set with new pads) - so I guess you just need to find someone who has upgraded from std. clappers and see if they'll bung'em to you.

...I could, but I want to keep my std. clappers...

I suppose I should have asked if they squeel for you...

...mine are embarassingly-loud and I've had to follow Dave Jacksons advice and chamfer the leading edges of the friction material - just about to take it for a run and see if it makes any difference...

Rob - that explains a few things...

I have tried CS on at least two occassions - and the stuff does vanish.

I went for a short drive (and then a 90ish mile blat today) after chamfering the leading-edges (and slapping some CS on) - and initially I thought I'd cracked it...

...I guess until the CS gave up - and now I've got extreme squeel again.

I've decided to:

i) Take another look at the shims on my old std. clappers - and see if it's possible to make something up for the new ones and;

ii) ..if not, just effect a nonchalant look when travelling through towns... *smile*