Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine upgrde of 1400SS

amosian

OK. I have a lovely limited edition 1400SS with all the bits (carbon, 6spd box, etc). In its current form, it's the sweetest Seven I've ever driven but I can't help but think that a little bit more power would be nice.

Is there any way of getting maybe an extra 15bhp without upsetting the balance? Will my engine life be reduced and what would the damage to my wallet be?

Apart from the obvious tyres and wheels (I use the car on the road and am not sure that I could corner safely any faster), what performance mods would people recommend?

Cheers

If you have the racer 1.4 it will have solid lifters, this would allow you to run with hotter cams, D2HTB`s, Mappable ECU. Should be possible to get another 15 bhp with ease. Allow £1500 for this. Or you could up the capacity to 1.6 by fitting the bigger liners and Pistons. Dave J has a set for sale.

Leave it alone Amosian.

I doubt 15bhp will be the end of it by any stretch, and then you get into all sorts.

The 1400SS as described is a lovely car and very well balanced. Round a circuit/on a road it will at least keep up with most things apart from more powerful 7s perhaps.

When you start to tinker you potentially upset the balance you have right now and end up spending lots of cash getting it back again. I'm not saying this isn't fun. Far from it. But it's expensive.

If you don't have them already, spend some cash on 13" wheels and a nice set of tyres. Far better than 15bhp.

And if you do have them, save the power cash and come on Le Sept instead.

Err, excuse me Mr Murphy but you didn't hand out that advice when I started down this road now did you!!! Whole car upgrade at about 5,500 so farthumbsup.gif

The 1400 SS is a beauty.Very sweet and buzzy. Loses out in the torque stakes a bit, but highly recommended by me. Mine made 133BHP on the rolling road at Dave Walkers place and was great. I would think that a lot could be done with a simply ported head (see Dave Andrews superb web site), an Emerald programmable ECU, and a set of Piper cams.

I mean, the std SuperLight 1600 only makes about 138BHP so you could do a fair bit better than that.

Dave A's yer man though.Try a posting!