Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SLR full cage

AndrewD

I'm just about to order one of these from Caterham, but before I do are there any experiences of these out there?

I gather these are special order items with a 2 week lead time, so I wonder if there are better deals to be had by going direct to the manufacturer (like the R500 wheels are a better deal going to MB instead).

I'd be interested in anybody's experiences of these cages.

Ta

Andrew

Etc

I take you mean the full race cage with semicircular hoops in the "roof" section? If so, then the only things I can say about it is:

1. It looks substantial

2. You can't get a hood over it (unlike the other full cage with the single diagonal in the "roof" section)

3. I've seen them variously with and without side-impact bars. I know you can buy the side impact bars separately, but I'm pretty certain I've seen one Caterham with the side impact bars integral to the roll cage. Looked the biz as far as personal safety goes. Without my requirement for a hood, I'd definately go for the full cage and side impact.

These full cages - are they a nightmare to get in & out of the car ?

Also, is there also a chance that you can hit your head on them in a frontal/side impact ?

I thought that the reason for full cages - as opposed to rear hoops with a diagonal to the passenger side - was to give protection if tyres came off tyre barriers & I also thought that all circuits had to fit conveyer belting over the tyres.

Thoughts Anyone ??

Chris

I've had no problem getting in & out with a full cage (standard one, not the "SLR"). Side impact bars make it more difficult if fitted, as the doors won't open if you use them.

Can you hit your head? Depends. I'm six foot, and as long as I do the straps up reasonably tight, there's virtually no chance of that happening. If I was wearing a helmet and it turned over, it would be a closer run thing, so I use roll bar padding as well.

I've had no problem getting in & out with a full cage (standard one, not the "SLR"). Side impact bars make it more difficult if fitted, as the doors won't open if you use them.

Can you hit your head? Depends. I'm six foot, and as long as I do the straps up reasonably tight, there's virtually no chance of that happening. If I was wearing a helmet and it turned over, it would be a closer run thing, so I use roll bar padding as well.

I think there are benefits of a full cage compared to roll bars on both track and road - not just from debris, but also from rolling the car (would you want to bet on the strength of the windscreen?)