Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Paint or Polish......???

7 wonders of the world

need your veiws or experiences here on body finish.........

Should I go ally body with carbon wings an be forever polishing or paint it and run the risk of chips???

I've seen good and bad examples of both, I know you can get clear protective strips for he paint work (??) which wards off most wayward stones just like to get a feel for preventative measures and hours with a polishing cloth for he ally version.

What do you guys use to keep them pristine ?

Thanks

Should I go ally body
Not unless you've got a very strong elbow. Not that I'd know, I do nothing with mine and it looks pretty rough (nice little oxymoron for the grammar fans on this forum) - I'd certainly be looking to buy a painted one next time around. In fact I'm considering having this one sprayed this winter.

Lots of posts in the archives about this BTW - consensus seems to be that you can't use ali finish in the wet/winter without a lot of aggro.

Andrew

• Area Representative

Had both and I would certainly go with the painted car. Just personal preference because there are some products on the market that make bare ali cars much more usable than before but with the painted cars it only takes a few moments to wash and chamois it to a decent shine all the time and the stone chipping is not really that much more of a problem than with a bare ali car as the rear wings take most of the brunt anyway!

Nick

Now the Orange HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

Have you thought about doing a bit of each. There is no doubt that polished alloy does look stunning when brought up to a mirror shine, and it's true that if you use the right polish [i use Alu Belgom] it will maintain that shine for 3-4 months easily, with just a chamois down when it is washed. The biggest problem, I have found is getting a good finish on the bonnet and around the louvres. So, I have painted the bonnet and scuttle to match the nosecone, leaving only the flat sides and back panel to polish, which is quick and easy [especially with my electrical polisher *cool*]. If you get fed up with polishing, or you find it getting tatty with little dings and dents etc, after a couple of years, you can always have it painted after and make the car look like new again.

Paul J. Hard work never killed anyone ........ but why take the chance!

some excellent comments, I checked out alu belgom on the web, wax additive lasts for weeks..............Hmm could be an ally / carbon I think !!

I suppose it's no worse than having to polish the non painted bits on a painted car really,

Re bonnet lovers - do these respond well to a light electric buff with a soft mop....?

Thanks again guys

As for the bonnet "lovers", I have to confess to being a bit of a closet bonnet lover myself, but for goodness sake don't tell my wife, who thinks that the affair that the Seven and I have is entirely platonic 😬

With regard to the slots that let the hot air out of the engine compartment, they do not respond to the polishing mop well, it's a hand job [if you see what I mean 😳] and can take hours [oh hell this just gets worse, sorry, Friday afternoon and all that.....]

Painting the bonnet and scuttle is easy, cheap and different and saves a stack of work.

Each time you polish you remove some metal from the body, therefore making your car lighter and faster. Therefore all bare ali cars are faster and handle better than painted cars. It's a well known fact.

A full polish usually takes me about two hours if I get a move on. For that reason, it gets about one full polish a year and the rest of the year it gradually reverts to dullness.

Over the years (mine is now 18!) corrosion and pitting set in so that the ali is permanently marked all over, like bad acne. I don't mind this too much and think of it as patina. Overall, it still comes up in a fantastic shine when polished.

Anthony

With bare ally at least the car is not confused with being a W******ld , or a Morgan... and most have no idea what a Robin Hood is anyway!!

I've got starred fibreglass and pitted ally both shining and clean ... it looks great, like a car that's lived: dents from Le mans, gravel from Croix etc.

Playing the Lo-tech Hi-spec Weber music! 'Go on do that thing when your carbs catch fire'