Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Dry Sump Bulk Buy!!! Updated with rough COST!

Kevsta

Kev

Can we get some idea of when we're going to put a cutoff date on this and get the order in. Also some idea of how payment will be made, i.e. deposit + final payment or all up front, cash/cheque/credit card etc.

I'd like to have my kit by mid october or end october at the latest so I can tinker in the run up to christmas.

I don't want to carry on running with a wet sump for much longer for various reasons so am keen to get the ball rolling. I think if we negotiated say a 20% deposit and then one or two later payments people could take delivery over a month or so rather than being forced to all take them on the same day which may give pace some logistical problems putting together 15 kits at once.

I think we need to start collating details of the engine configurations that people have i.e.

Engine Type (K or Vx - are we just doing a K bulk buy or others as well)

plenum or throttle bodies

road, track or race use

tank size

filter options (remote or on block)

laminova or not (extra hose needed)

single scavenge hose with manifold or twin hoses

Davesport, can you send me details of your Brise tank especially the mods. Ta.

Roy.

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying *smile*

Happiness is knowing you have just a tad too much power *wink*

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will fly, as I said early on in this post, this was intended to get interest for the BB so I could negotiate a good price for LC7 members. They are interested as they will be able to do a large production run (well, more than usual and prevent shelf stock) thus giving us the discount. however, I said that the order would be made in december for a presumed jan delivery based on what they could do. I do not have the funds ready right now and I thought if I started it early like I have then people can also budget for it over the next few months and put aside what they need. I think october is a little early and as we have recieved 3 more people in the last few days I don't want to have a cut off until the order is actually put in. I am in contact with neil and he is going to be getting back to me on a couple of details so I can also give a better guide on the price and possibly gain some further interest.

The money will be paid direct to Pace as I don't want to be involved in that side of things (can imagine me being out of pocket at the end of it) and everyone will have individual needs and so can order direct through them. I think that neil may want to have people make the order seperately (sop he can speak to all on an individual basis) and they can have a cut off for when they are going to start the production of the units. I would hazard a guess at something like 20th of december so its in before the end of the year and the orders can be completed in the new year and delivered.

I know its a bit of a wait for you but the saving would be well worth the extra few months...I doubt you will be able to drive the car much over the winter or at speeds required to get an op drop on your existing system. Or do you use the car everyday? Anyway I hope this doesn't cause you too many set backs.

I will definately get an idea of numbers and ask that everyone lets me know if they ARE going to be ordering through pace so we get the right discount across the board. But for now I'm still in talk with themn and collecting interest.

Regards

Kev

• 4 weeks later...

Kev,

I'm interested in the sump.... Look forward to hearing more.

I had the daft idea of having someone fabricate a square tank to fit at the end of the passenger footwell. How about that for weight distribution and use of space?

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

What are peoples thoughts on this BB solution v the new Caterham solution as mentioned on the other thread.

Prices seems to be very similar, depending on what discounts the BB can deliver.

Are they similar level of complexity to fit ? Which pump solution is better ?

Anyone found out where the Caterham tank sits ?

Any news on when the BB option would be available. I definitely need delivery in the UK early Dec, and that might dictate the option I choose.

thanks

Cost so far is:

Pace sump/pump etc: £841.95

Tank: £unknown at this stage but will let you know as soon as I do!

Hoses and fittings for a set-up the same/similar to Mike Smiths: £238.46

Remote oil filter: £unknown at this stage but will let you know as soon as I do!

This is a total of 15% off the sump/pump etc and 25% off the fittings and pipes. These are for JIC ali fittings which are more expensive but smaller and better and for push lock hoses. Those wishing to braid would need to increase the price etc but that can be discussed with pace as they will tailor each order individually. I just thought it best to give you guys an idea (and this is the route I am going).

SO that comes to £1080.41 but you still need the tank and the remote filter (but I don't think this is a must and there are cheaper options). This is a saving over the £1700 for a CC version and in my eyes is a much better system but still needs the other two items. I don't like to guess on prices so I won't but Neil and Wayne have assured me that the tank will be of very high quality and specifically designed for the install. They may be using my car as a test bed for the best design. I would guess it would become a tank to buy for the caterham rather than an individually designed/order tank. They are being very helpful in contacting me and keeping this rolling given how busy they all are. Very Professional bunch!

This is also put on the first page of this thread!

Kevsta,

Top man, your hard works paying off.

Regards the tank, if it's going to be a Caterham version you could spec a few tweaks specifically for the Pace set up:

1 x outlet (1/2) R/H/S

2 x Inlets (3/4BSP) 1 each side for those wishing to run a cooler too.

1 x breather straight to catch tank

1 x drain magnetic plug saves faffing at oil change time.

1 x oil temp boss?

They may even make a batch of catch tanks to match ??

Cheers

Thank you, I'll keep a note of these and discuss with pace. Hopefully won't need a breather as I believe you can set this system up as a sealed engine as the pump draws a negative pressure (or something like that). This would save money on catch tanks too!Definately a magnetic drain plug though!!!! *thumbup*

Anyone found out where the Caterham tank sits ?

yes - i did that old fashioned thing and spoke to a man on the telephone *eek* *eek* *eek* *wink*- it is a 2 part tank that hold's 5l and is designed to sit where the passengers feet are . You will need to modify the footwell to a "short cockpit" to site it.

Dave, I understand then that this is a very similar set up to the one that you run today (or ran with your previous engine - not sure). I guess your car gets used very hard, have you come across any issues. Does your engine ever suffer from surge due to the single pick up point ?

thanks

If that is it then the pace system is much better as the old oil pump and general CC set up is not that great. That was Oily hands' comment to me when I spoke to him about it....at the time he had an R500 engine in his garage with bearings gone....and it had the CC dry sump system! Have sent them an e-mail to enquire about it (did try the old fashioned way but no-one answered!)

Kevsta - the emai I got from caterham ont he subject says

** NEW - 'Remote Tank' Dry Sump kits **

The Caterham dry sump system uses high quality components developed exclusively for our application and has been honed and proven in Caterham racing for many years.

However, whilst the 'belltank' system offers a brilliant packaging solution, the additional costs of the belltank parts and the need to remove the engine for installation, have deterred some Caterham owners wishing to convert their cars to a dry sump.

At Caterham, we recognise this fact and have listened to our customers who have asked us for an alternative. We are please to announce that we can now deliver.

Combining the race bred scavenge-pump & sump-system with a traditional 'easiclean' tank delivers all the performance of our race dry sump system, with the lower cost and ease of installation of a traditional dry sump set up.

And this system has undergone perhaps the toughest test of all - it was used in our famous class-winning R400 at the Nurburgring 24 hour race*

The kit is available complete, or less tank and pipes (and associated fittings), should you wish to source your own tank to suit your particular needs. For a limited period, introductory prices are:

Dry Sump Kit without tank etc - £900 inc VAT

Complete 'Remote Tank' Dry Sump Kit - £1150 inc VAT

Complete 'Belltank' Dry Sump Kit - £1750 inc VAT

To order a kit, contact Caterham Parts on 01322 625801 or parts@caterham.co.uk

To discuss fitting, contact Caterham Aftersales on 01322 625804 or reply to this email

* The reason for using this system, rather than the usual race belltank, was that the car was specifically engineered to allow for a quick gearbox change.

SIMON LAMBERT

Aftersales Manager

My MSN Space and Blog - Syndicate Using RSS

My previous dry sump system was the std caterham system with bellhousing tank.

This year I kept all the caterham dry sump system but used a seperate tank instead of the Caterham bellhousing tank. This is essentially what Caterham are offering wth this system.

As for how reliable / good the system is??.

Over the past 10 years all caterhams have been racing with the Caterham dry sump system. How many hundreds of cars would that be ??. Also all the factory supplied cars have been running the std caterham dry sump system. The system may not be the optimal system - single scavenge . But there can be no doubt its pretty well proven for reliability. The pace system on the other hand has twin scavenge, but only a small expossed belt driving the whole system. So pros and cons. I suspect with the offer that Caterham are curently doing their system would be cheaper overall.

A good solution may be to go for the Pace pump and pan then site the tank in place of the footwell or do as I have done and sink the tank into the scuttle. I cant see how the 7Kg tank of oil sited over the front crossmember can be any good for cornering , cooling or oil warm up in winter.

As for surge - you wont get surge as the oil is fed from the tank on either system .

Kevsta - you still need a catch tank .

Dave

Ok so we need the catch tank...that's fine. As for which system is better then that's a long debabte. Personally I prefer the Pace setup but that is purely my opinion and is from speaking to a couple of people about it. Anyone is welcome to join the BB or not...It's a free country.