Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Temperature

chrisiden

I have a 1.8K Series Supersport, just had it's first 500 mile service.

Everything is fine, except when I am cruising at 75-80, the water and oil temps slowly increase to water being around 100 +/- a few degrees and the oil temp heads towards the red at 120. I think the oil is getting a bit hot, the factory seem to think so too so they came and collected the car yesterday.

They've had it for a day, but haven't found anything wrong. Any ideas as to what could be the problem? Everything seems so be working correctly (thermostat etc) when stationary, but oil temperature rises on the motorway.

Is this kind of oil temperature problems normal for a K series?

Chris

It's definitely not normal.

Possible causes - Faulty sender(s), faulty guage, airlock in cooling system, water pump problem, fan not switching on (unlikely if the problem occurs on the motorway in this weather).

I'd try switching the guage for another one to see if that makes a difference to start with, but I'm not really the person to ask with a K series. Don't know zip about maintenance with them.

An update:

The factory has had the car for two days, and have n't found any thing wrong, however they have road tested the car and agree that the oil temperature is hitting 120+ degrees C.

If after two days they've ruled out any problems with the coolant system, then doesn't that mean that the problem may be with the engine itself?

I also have a concern with what damage may have been done running the car at such high oil temperatures? It's done about 700 miles, 250 of that motorway use. Am I being paranoid, or is there likely to have been damage done which is going to shorten the life of the engine??

I'm feeling a little downhearted....

Chris,

I shouldn't worry too much. Modern synthetics can tolerate this kind of temperature without too much trouble, and I doubt you've really been stressing the engine with road use.

When mine went, it was at 130degC oil temp and held at 7000rpm (approx 140MPH) for over 5 minutes with a passenger, and I don't think it was the oil temp that caused the failure.

I really doubt that you've done any harm at all.

Alex

Alex,

Is the K oil temp sender more remote than it could be on your car?

120degC is fine if its in the crankcase, but if its coming from a sender in the DS tank or on a length of capilery hose then the crankcase temp could be higher.

Does sound more likely to be electrical though. I wonder if a bad earth could cause this, esp as the water temp also seems a bit high? Perhaps a missing engine earth strap - more problematic with gauges than cranking the starter?

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

This may seem like a silly question but is the fuel gauge behaving, do you seem to have more fuel whilst going along than when you started? If so it is diffinitly electrical if not still probably electrical and almost certainly an earth check those on the wiper mount.

The earthing point for my Stack systm is .... the brake fluid switch. At times I can "program" the tempurature by switching on the lights, fan etc. So I too would agreed that you should first check the signal earth at the gauge and sensors.

Another idea - use the rad fan as a guide to the water temp. I think its switch operates around ~95C.