Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Further adventures of the SLR 6sp box!

AndrewD

I recently had some problems towards the end of a track day engaging gears in my SLR. A number of you kindly mentioned various mechanical possibilities.

Since then, I left the car for 3 weeks so it was completely cold, and, I guess, all the gearbox oil has settled at the bottom of the box. Surprise, surprise, car slots into and out of all gears cleanly and no fuss.

However, starting up and letting it warm for 5-10 minutes resulted in the same difficulties again. I noticed that it seems particularly difficult to push it out of gear and into neutral.

Got me thinking, could it be wrong gearbox oil (i.e. too thick)? But then why is this only starting to happen now, I haven't had any problems before and I haven't changed the oil. Perhaps I should?

Any further advice gratefully received!

I'd be careful about going too thin on the oil, esp. fully synthetic. Too thin and it won't mesh resulting in damage to your baulk rings. Give them a ring and see what they recommend, drain out your current oil and replace.

Graeme.

graeme finlayson / tyre warmer / fluke motorsport

graeme.finlayson@vicorp.com / www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk

Carbon-fibre sale bonanza!

I've been using Mobil 1 SHC from day 1, the car has done 12000 miles with 6 trackdays and has been fine. It's available from Demon Theives (part no MOBILSHC) at 9.02 per litre, you'll need a couple of bottles as the gearbox takes just over a litre.

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying smile.gif

It's a pain in the arius. Usual method is engine out, gearbox out, tip the gearbox up and drain out.....

Depending where your filler hole is, or if you can get the cover plate off in the tunnel, you might be able to feed a syringe in there and slowly suck all the oil out but that's just as tedious!

Graeme.

graeme finlayson / gear cruncher / fluke motorsport

graeme.finlayson@vicorp.com / www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk

Carbon-fibre sale bonanza!

6 speed boxes have a drain plug. Piece of cake, but you won't get *all* the oil out.

As for getting the new oil in, various methods exist, including a piece of hose, or a length of bent copper central heating tube. Re-filled mine the other day in half an hour.

BTW, EP80 Shell Helix doesn't seem to be available now.

Do not use synthetic oil in your 6spds.

A GL4 spec. non multigrade oil (80w I think) is what you want (as Rob stated).

The latest Ford stuff as recommended by Caterham (I believe) is the wrong stuff. Ford changed the oil a bit ago and I think that one's a GL5.

Shell Helix isn't readily available either. I think mine's Castrol or Comma.

Andrew - give Phil Stewart a call and talk through the problems with him. He can advise and is a nice bloke to talk to. His number's on here somewhere.