Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Clutch lever arm

stephen grant

Argh. Help please.

I've been replacing the CRB by the "shuffle the engine back a few inches and whisk the CRB out" method. It's all gone fine, except for one rather major detail. I can't persuade the clutch paddle arm to stay attached. The old CRB was a really tight fit on the paddle arm and, in trying to remove it, the paddle arm slipped several times off the locating pin at the bottom of the bellhousing, so it was just loose on the shaft. The little rubber sleeve is still on the locating pin, and doesn't look to be damaged, but is there something else that's also supposed to be holding the paddle in place? I pushed the paddle back onto the locating pin and put the new CRB on, which is a much much looser fit, but now i've dropped the engine back in, the paddle arm is just flopping about in the bellhousing and the CRB has unclipped itself from the paddle arm.

Argh, engine back out again. What am I doing wrong?

thanks,

stephen

Edited by - stephen grant on 6 Aug 2005 23:18:57

Are you sure the clutch release arm hasn't lost one of the two legs that go either side of the locating pin at the bottom of the bellhousing? That might account for why the plastic sleeve isn't keeping it in place.

Steve.

Hi Steve - no, i'm pretty sure they are there. I'm right in thinking that that is the only thing holding the lever in place aren't I? If I push the lever back past the plastic sleeve onto the pin, and then push the CRB so that the recess in those little clips on either side of the back of the CRB fit onto the protrusions on the lever, that's it isn't it? I mean the CRB just clips onto the lever and the lever just sits on the locating pin?

Perhaps I'm not getting the lever arm all the way over the plastic sleeve? Bit worrying that both the lever arm has come off the pin and the CRB has come off the lever arm. I'll open it up and see if I can figure it out properly this time...

stephen

• Support Team

Normally you take the sleeve off the pin, put the release arm over the pin and then put the sleeve back - some heat (i.e. leave in hot water for a minute or so) is used to soften the sleeve. If you are pushing the arm over the sleeve on the pin, it is probably not staying on there properly.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

ok, i've opened it up again. The lever arm IS staying on the pin, my problem is that the CRB isn't staying on the arm, hence the arm has nothing to stop it moving sideways.

There's a small flange on either side of the lever arm. I assume that I just line up the CRB and push it on and after enough pushing the CRB should hold? How much force should this take? I've pushing it on, but it just doesn't stay on. A couple of wiggles of the lever and and the CRB has detached itself again...

I know that this is easy, but somehow it ain't for me!

stephen

Edited by - stephen grant on 7 Aug 2005 15:33:03