Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2001 Caterham 220BHP - Reduced £13k

Carl

Car registered 1 March 2001 on a Y plate although it has a private plate which looks like "POWER". The car was built by Dave Carter of the Autocentre in Darlington which is a Caterham Aftersales agent. The car started life a 2.0 Injected Vauxhall but I have spent a significant amount improving the engine and the chassis set up. The engine is a coss cast.

It has 7800 miles on the clock and underwent a full engine rebuild last year to upgrade virtually all of the components. The rebuild was not as a result of any problems with the engine. It was purely to improve its power. The rebuild which was performed by HWR Motorsport included the following:

New Mahle 86.5 pistons

Crank and rods polished and balanced

Bored out from 86 to 86.5 to take the new pistons

Head gas flowed

Pistons pocketed for the cams

New main and big end bearings - replaced not due to wear but given that the engine was apart it seemed sensible

New Kent 1609 fast road cams,vernier pulleys, springs and tappets fitted giving very useable power over 3000-7500 revs

SBD Jenvey Throttle body kit including MBE engine management

Compression raised to 10.75

Uprated ARP rod bolts

The engine has been mapped by Steve at SBD and runs very well.

Lightened flywheel with uprated bolts.

Rebuild and throttle bodies cost in Excess of £5.5k less than 2000 miles ago.

As the car is run on the road and I didn't want the problems of dry sump belts being knocked off by stones, I have fitted a heavily baffled extra capacity SBD cast alloy sump that takes 5 litres of oil. I have fitted a mechanical oil pressure gauge which gives perfect accuracy.

The car is running alloy Proteck fully adjustable dampers (offers 13 adjustment clicks). I fitted new springs two months ago and they are 275lbs on the front and 180lbs on the back.

The engine and gearbox are set back a further inch when compared to the original Vauxhall engine and as a result, the balance is excellent. The car does not understeer on road or track.

New Superlight wheels were fitted last year and I have just replaced the backs tyres two weeks ago with 48r's. The fronts are still nearly new. The wheels still look like new.

The interior includes Leather S type seats together with standard dash. I have fitted a programmable change light (set for 6800), cycle computer and an Elliot tacho which is much more accurate than a Caterham Tacho.

Removable Mono steering wheel

Carbon front wings, rear wing and sill protectors.

Caterham Competition Exhaust

5 speed box.

I think it must weigh in the region of 540 kgs given the above spec.

The car is in beautiful pampered condition.

Colour is bright yellow, with Carbon front wings, wing protectors and sills.

I am the second owner and I am selling due to the fact the wife is going to give birth in 2 months and I cannot see when I am going to get a chance to drive it. Looking to change to an M3.

The prices has been reduced to £14k as it must go. Bargain price for a such a powerful young car that needs nothing and handles brilliantly.

Edited by - carl on 5 Aug 2005 14:22:09

Edited by - carl on 12 Aug 2005 08:22:08

Edited by - Carl on 23 Aug 2005 09:13:22

Price now reduced to reflect the fact that it needs to go.

This is bargain price for such a youn fully sorted car with 220bhp. It needs nothing as I have spent so much getting it to its current set up.

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

Readvertised due to tyre kicker!

Immediate sale required so dropped to silly price of £13k for a car that stands me nearly double. Plate negotiable.

R500 chasing performance for half the money.

Come and see the yellow peril.

Carl

07939 586 848

You would then have every breed of Caterham Peter. Tyre kicker said he didn't want a yellow car after all even though I sent him the pictures. Maybe I should have written on the bottom of the colour photographs that the car was yellow as apposed to yellow as per the photograph! I wish he had though about this before my 200 mile round trip to meet him part way.

Nevermind, the car was fabulous on the way home from Brough through to Newcastle. I forgot how quick it was as I have not used it for some time.

Blimey you are giving this away *confused*

BTW please can you tell me how you manage with ground clearance with the big sump -was umming and arrrhing myself about changing the sump on my VX as its only 3L and ended up fitting remote sytstem with remote oil filter,accusump and oil coller to get the oil capacity up and prevent starvation ,on the advice of mike stewart performance engineering -he said that ground clearance would be a real problem on country rods with the bigger SBD sump

Field Motorsport VXE HPC

247 bhp

Blatting around Angus and Perthshire with a mega smile again

Thanks

I think that the SBD sump s a quality piece that I would fit again if I was given the choice. It offers so much more capaicty and is not siginificantly lower than the caterham sump. I think it is about 1.5cm lower. The is no oil windage so you do not encounter lounder tappets and it includes metal baffling that stops any surge. I run a mechanical oil pressure guige which has vey little damping and the needle does not move when cornering.

I run 185/60/13 A032r and my wishbones are level on the front. This gives me 70mm clearance under the sump. I am running 285lb springs with my dampers wound back onto a low setting to give compliance. This gives a lovely ride and the handling has been transformed from when I was running 200lb spring up front. I could realistically run the car at 60mm clearance without any problems.

Cheers

Carl

Thanks Ross

I have had a lot of interest from Pistonheads but I have not yet been able to change the price down to £13k on their as my office firewall is stopping any emails coming in from the site!!.

I hope am hoping that it moves by or over the weekend so that I can concentrate at work more.

Carlos

Carlos,

Do you have to get rid! As a founder member of the all new NE7's you will be sorely missed. Kids don't stay rugrats for very long, just think 3 or 4 years time and your out for a walk with your little 'un and this funny little car blasts up the road towards you and he/she says 'look at that car Dad, isn't it great!', you'll feel as sick as a dog when you say 'I used to have one of them ☹️'

Still I'm sure an M3 is a lovely comfortable trouble free car that attracts the same attention.

See you next Wednesday?

Hi Brian

Thanks for the complements. I am sure that you would not have said the same when I covered you in mud on the Borders Blat!

I anticipate buying another Caterham in 3-4 years time. I just need to free some space and money up to buy something I can run everyday and enjoy. I am going to give my company car to the missus and buy a 993 (just has four seats but much more character than an M3). The M3 has lost its appeal as the used market will drop over the next year as the model become more popular. I have driven the Caterham very little and need something that gives me a buzz driving back and forth to work.

I am still going to come to the odd meeting and may be in need of a top up (passenger ride) every now and again.

Cheers

Carl