Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Raising ride height

KevSull Too

Finding my Superlight a little low to the ground for everyday driving. What would be the best way to increase the ride height? It's currnetly running on 13" minilights and 175/55 rubber. I also have adjustable bilstiens (so I was told when I bought it, but it looks adjustable. Forgive the novice in me!)

I'm concerned about altering the handling characteristics of the car if I play around with the suspension. I'd also like to keep the minilight style wheels (how big to they go?) but don't want to cough up too much moolah (not yet anyway).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kev.

Go for Yoko 21Rs in 185/70/13 profile. I have no problem running with these on 13" wheels. Added benefit tyres are only £40 inc VAT from George Polley.

Chris Alston

Se7ening - it's all miles and smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud teeth.gif ...well it only sounds fast officer blush.gif

Kev ,

If the suspension has adjustable ride height you will have alloy bases on the spring seats , these rotate up or down the damper body , using a C spanner .

If you do raise the ride height , count the number of threads or turns of the spring seats and turn all four corners the same amount . This is by no means deadly acurate but will be OK .

I run with 60mm under the front of the sump (dry) and have no problems . I run the back end 18mm higher - measured on the chassis rails ( front engine mount and rear pick up point )

If the car doesnt handle to your liking having done this then reset to the previous height , or continue playing around .

Happy twirlling

Dave

Andy,

With 185/70/13 on a 93 x/flow de dion with standard Bilsteins, I have about 3½" ground-to-sump clearance. Good for road driving manages to clear all speed humps that I've found (not that I go looking for them you'll understand)

Chris Alston

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud teeth.gif ...well it only sounds fast officer blush.gif

Kev.

Your car runs low because of the tyre aspect ratio. Is it on ACB10's or CR500's??

Whatever the case, moving to a 185/60/13 will raise the car signifcantly. Would suggest Yoko AO32R as a cheap mid spec tyre for road use.

14" wheels raise the ride height to the extent that the car needs to be lowered. This upsets the geometry at the front and the handling will go to pot.

70 series tryes will also destroy the precision of the handling.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Arnie,

70 series tryes will also destroy the precision of the handling

You're probably right Arnie. But seeing as I went from Michelin Pilots to 21Rs and have never driven anyone elses 7, it's all relative. I still get a lot of fun driving my car on a limited budget tongue.gif

Chris Alston

I was also beginning to worry about teh ride hieght of my VVC, having had a huge amount of fun running with 185/60 13RE720s I now have a spare set of rims thanks to Mr Morris and i was trying to get my hands on soem used slicks for my track day activities. Having looked at the profile of the avon slick (50) I am thinking that its probably not a good idea.

Also has anybody else run a VVC with slicks and is there a real danger of oil surge? i have got an appollo tank and oil cooler fitted.

Lali

VVC-ya wouldnt wanna be ya!!