Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Adj Wishbone for Live axle - Correct Taper

Casbar

After changing my forged wishbone for a De-Dion adj one, I hadn't realised that the tapers were different for the Live axle uprights. This resulting in the upgrade not being tested by Caterham or recommended by them, even though they have sold some 40 odd to live axle owners.

After some research I have now managed to source the correct rod ends that screw straight into the adj wishbone and have the correct Triumph taper at the other end. I fitted them today, and they are a better fit. There is no suggestion that the other ends are unsafe, but in my mind I would rather have the correct ones fitted.

If anyone is interested I could probably get hold of some more. They cost me £12.00 per rod. I can't understand why Caterham just didn't offer both ends, they could then legitimately offer the upgrade to all live axle owners.

I have been following this discussion with great interest as I was not aware of the difference. However does this apply because of the different uprights that might have been used by early Caterhams and Lotus, than the present ones? Early ones had separate upright and caliper mount whilst later ones were integral ( Herald vrs Spitfire V ) and then later still with lower ball joint which I understand are unique to Caterham. Does this mean that those with Triumph uprights (both types) would have to change?

Apparently, this applies to both Herald and Spitfire uprights, the tapers are the same. The tapers are different for the uprights that don't have trunnions. Caterham used a different taper on non trunnion uprights, whereas the others all use the Triumph tapers.

They seem to be a better fit than the Caterham De-Dion taper ends. I must admit, when I spoke to those in the know, nobody mentioned that the Herald and Spitfire uprights were different, the guy I spoke to, has supplied over 200 of these rods to customers in the UK and Japan and had built adj top wishbones for live axles before Caterham did the De-Dion ones, he knew all the threads and sizes etc.

Fitted mine this weekend, and they seem to fit well, but the old ones went in as well!!!

Casbar

I too fitted the top wishbone upgrade and was concerned over the tapers not matching but I have not experienced any problems with them, but for peace of mind I would like to change the ball joints for ones with the correct tapers. Can you e-mail the details to philgough@yahoo.com

Cheers

Phil Gough