Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Problem attaching popper base

Shaun_E

• Support Team

In order to fit my new half hood more securely, I am replacing one of the popper bases with one that only undoes in one direction.

The base I am replacing is the most forward one that attaches the side of the boot cover. I drilled the rivets out of the old popper bases and then realised that these were the ones I had a real nightmare attaching in the first place. The reason being that the hole is right in front of the point where several chassis rails meet. The gap between the side skin and the chassis rail is less than the length of the required rivet and I can't drill into the chassis rail as it appears to be right over the brazed fillet and my drill barely makes an impression. Even if I drill far enough into it, a rivet is unlikley to secure to it. To make matters worse, in drilling the rivets out, the hole in the skin is now a little bigger than before ☹️. I then thought perhaps I could get a rivnut in there but there is still not enough depth. What I really need is some way of attaching the base that doesn't need a rivet.

Should I fill the hole with chemical metal and start again or perhaps just glue a screw in there? I can't get to the back of the panel even if I took the inside panel off.

Suggestions please as I'm at the end of my tether and really can't see a good way out of this predicament.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

Michael - I just need a really short rivnut. Bought some from Apex today that were shorter than the ones I had but they are still too long. I filed one to reduce the length but then there wasn't enough thread left for the rivnut gun to work - it just pulled the thread out of the rivnut.

The only alternative is to drill another hole a bit higher direct into the chassis rail but that will leave me with a hole in the sideskin ☹️.

I wish I'd never started on this *confused*.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Shaun, I think you need to go back to drilling the frame, but first make sure you have a sharp drill, that you are using some form of cutting oil and perhaps even starting off with a small pilot drill.

When attaching the fasteners to the frame, use self tapping screws.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

• Support Team

John - sounds like that's my only option. If I can drill the frame enough I will fit a rivnut as there is a small gap between frame and skin. Failing that I'll try your suggestion of a self tapping screw. Off to buy a sharp drill bit then *smile*.

Thanks,

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32