Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How to improve straight line stability?

paul jacobs

My 1600 K engined roadsport is a little too lively ,with very sharp turn in, which / really want to tame a bit, especially on bumpy roads. Can anyone suggest what mods to the geometry would work best?

I have already given it a bit more toe in, but haven't touched camber or caster yet. The toe in hasn't really made any significant difference and before I started mucking about too much thought a little guidence would be in order.

Paul J. Hard work never killed anyone ........ but why take the chance!

Hmm,

Check the rake, about 20mm higher at the back is good, Camber does not affect this much on mine. Could be due to tyres but I ran 021's will ACB camber setup and now CR500's and this does not affect it much.

Toe should be parallel or a little out for the road.

Tyre pressures - you are probably ok there I would think...

Hants (north) / Berkshire club here

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here

Edited by - stevefoster on 29 Jul 2005 15:17:11

I haven't measured the rake exactly, but it is a little higher at the back already. I assume that the higher it is, within reason, the more it promotes roll oversteer? Thinking about it, what I may need is a little more understeer 😳 Maybe what I ned to do is actually reduce the rake? OTOH I'm probably talking out of my 🙆🏻......... On most of my other Sevens I've desperately been trying to stop the dreaded understeer and get better turn-in without swinging into full blooded oversteer *eek*

• Support Team

Definitely want slight toe-in for bumpy roads otherwise you'll be making a break for the hedge *eek*. Parallel is OK and slight toe out good for track work to get the best turn in.

I had similar problems when I switched from A021R to A048R and I think the stiffer sidewalls were one cause of the problem - they are also quite pressure sensitive. The other thing you may want to check is the bumpsteer - do a search on here and you will find some information on how to do that. I had mine checked thanks to Oliver Sedlacek and his home made gauge but it wasn't that far out. We added some toe-in at the same time and the car is much better. I have read that the rear ARB can also be a cause of a lively ride - might want to soften that off if you have one.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Thanks Shaun, no a/r bar on the rear, but I will do some reading on bump steer, although I was under the impression that if the steering arms were more or less parallel with the ground, that was about all you could do. It does feel more like bump steer though, especially when using a set of 16" wheels that I've got, shod with 48's, it's virtually undrivable then. ☹️

Oh hell, sorry Mark, I forgot all aboutthe CTR tomorrow. It rather depends what jobs my good lady has lined up for me, but I will try and blag a day passout. Arnie, I must admit to not getting quite the same terminal speed as you, but I do remember running my Vx with flares and not getting any lift whatsoever at around the 135 mark [indicated!], but OTOH I had to do quite a lot of work to get it to turn in well [uprated springs, lots of neg. camber slight toe out and a/r bar on it's tightest setting, but soon discarded that one as it led to involunty high speed oversteer!] Playing with the castor is a good option though, thanks.