Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil filters - K series

MJS

For one reason or another I had to ditch my Rover badged oil filter as fitted originally to my new K engine. I replaced it with a Unipart item (not sure of the part number), but now I want to carry out the first service oil change and was wondering whether I should get an OE Rover part or are the Unipart ones up to scratch?

Also, do I need to flush the engine with anything to get rid of any residue of the original oil?

Matt.

Err, I thought the flush was used by adding it to the existing oil, running the engine for a short while (run around the block [no pun intended]) to get it all warm then drain it as per normal oil change. Therefore, the flush comes out with the old oil. I would agree though that there is a problem with the retained/trapped oil in the sump that doesn't get out unless you remove said sump!

If you can get a GFE26 then do so. It's the same as the GFE280 (non-return valve) but has smaller filtration holes.

Don't put anything into the oily part of your car that's not oil. If you think you need to get more of the old oil out, just do an oil change more often. Imagine what oil flush does.... thins the oil making it fall out easier. So what if you don't get ALL the oil flush out? It stays in the engine thinning the new oil out.

I'd say that was a BAAAAAAD thing.

Ok, bought a GFE26 and 5 litres of Comma fully synth in preparation for the first oil change. Drained oil and got the old (GFE280) filter off. Offered the new filter up before priming just to make sure it would fit OK - it didn't! The internal thread of the filter appears not to match the thread of the filter housing. Any ideas?

Am I correct in saying that the GFE number makes it engine specific, therefore the 26 / 280 are specific to the 1.8 K series? Any help on this would be appreciated before I return to the dealer and exchange it for a 280 at the weekend.

Gutted.

Matt.