Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bizarre MOT failure

Miff

Happily now passed MOT but failed on a rather odd point.

The testers weren't happy that the various switches and guages were not clearly labelled "indicator" "horn" and so on. Didn't do an emissions test though! *wink*

Edited by - miff on 28 Jul 2005 14:17:15

I have seen couple of cars with labelled switches but the majority without. Mines never had labels and been MOTed without problem the last few years.

Maybe this could be age related. IE newer cars must have some sort of marking as to what the switches do.

May car is a 1991.

Alan and his Yellow and Green 1700 BDR HPC.

couldn't be too arse'd to quibble since they passed the emissions test.

For info, they required the following to be labelled with the wording as shown:

Indicator: Indicator

Horn: Horn

Head lamp: 'Main' below, 'dip' above

Headlamp flasher: 'Flash'

All very weird. Anyway have taken off the labels (old-fashioned dymo tape) and kept them for reference for next year (just in case I can't remember!)

Interestingly didn't require the big red starter button to be labelled?

Next time you go in, have everthing labelled, if you can afford to take the pi55. Steering wheel labelled Left/Right with arrows etc.

I can't remember when I heard of anything so daft; When you are driving do you look at the controls to see what they do ? I don't think so.

Now if you were providing the car as a device under the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations that would be another matter altogether,,,,,

that would be another matter

etc

BMW's do not have labels for indicators as they have none fitted

oh yes they do,

they just don't work, - as in this 'genuine' BMW advert on sniffpetrol 2/3 of the way down the page.here

Tim (L7 EVN - on the upgradealator)

In all seriousness, the new BMW indicator stalk is a baffling item - being an electronic switch rather than a mechanical one. Anybody who has a new 5 series will know what I mean. If you try to cancel it and catch it just after it has self cancelled, it flashes the other way, then the original way again when you try again etc. No wonder BMW drivers don't indicate!! It's too stressful!